FORUMS: list search recent posts

recording with wet monitoring

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael forrest
recording with wet monitoring
on Mar 9, 2010 at 11:40:28 pm

OK, I would like to hear myself wet while recording. I know, what a crazy idea. I just cant get a great "feel" while doing a solo when I have no distortion or effects, adding it later seems crazy to me. Here are a list of guitar players who "wet monitor" while they record ,they are going on tape dry , but they are hearing themselves with all the good stuff!!!! Neal Schon, ed vanhalen, david gilmore, steve via, joe satriani, ok, fricken' everyone!!! can someone tell me how to do this in garage band , is it possible even? does anyone even know what im talking about? I am able to do this in Sonar PE, but my computer is down (i know, iknow, buy a mac). They did not add the delay on Pink Floyd's "brick in the wall" after he layed it down! trust me! Can you see Eddie Vanhalen doing eruption "Totally "clean" and then adding the distortion/phaser later? Twang twang twang ta twang twang twang....It didnt happen! Any help would be great. I cant find anything online for this.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: recording with wet monitoring
on Mar 10, 2010 at 12:11:03 am

Hello Michael and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You talkin' about guitar? Sure you can. Who says you can't? Put the output of your pedal board in and jam away. I will say that sometimes the vibe you think you're getting isn't there the next day when you play it back.

I like re-amping too. That's recording dry or very minimal effects to a track, then during mixing, send that dry track to an amp and/or effects and mic the amp. I know, I know, you're playing through the effects. I do it too, but there are times when having that amount of control really helps mix the whole tune better.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

michael forrest
on Mar 10, 2010 at 1:41:53 am

Thank you! How about going directly into GarageBand? Is there a way to record wet and hear it wet without a pedal board? I can do it in Sonar , I supose I could run my rack directly into garage band. It's just that I like noodling and recording while I watch tv in the livingroom and having my whole rack up here would drive my wife nuts. I am somehow able to do it in Sonar 4 PE with reverb and not be recording it. Is there a way to do this with garage band? I may have to get a pedal to go direct in as you said. Are you familliar with Sonar as well? Thank you again!

Return to posts index

michael forrest
on Mar 10, 2010 at 1:49:37 am

Ty, your vidio, with the acoustic guitar and capo, that's what I want to hear while I'm recording while watching tv! Very nice! I am using a Tascam US 122 interface into GarageBand and headphones. I got a feeling I'll need to get my computer fixed huh? :-(

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 10, 2010 at 1:29:14 pm

Michael,

Thanks for your compliments. On my acoustic guitar clip that was two subtly combined stereo reverbs, that's all.

If you don't want to annoy those around you, there are a lot of devices out there. There is a processing issue. The big Pro Tools rig lets you do it, but all of the Pro Tools LE systems only let you apply effects to tracks already recorded. I don't know about the others.

Line 6 makes a whole line of boxes from the Pod Express on up.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598587-REG/Line_6_99_075_0305_Pocket_...

Check 'em out to see which one has a headphone jack if that's important to you. If you want to go in via USB to your computer, here's your solution.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/519289-REG/CEntrance_Inc__CE1803_AxeP...

Regards,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]