FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speakers or just headphones?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stan welks
Speakers or just headphones?
on Mar 9, 2010 at 9:25:13 pm

I am going to do some voice overs for web and DVD. I already have some nice headphones. Should I also be listening to my audio through speakers?
If so, can anyone recommend some speakers that are suitable for voice, not going to be doing much with music?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Speakers or just headphones?
on Mar 9, 2010 at 10:29:34 pm

You can't really RECORD voiceovers using speakers since you'll setup a feedback loop.

So that's a headphone only situation.

As to monitoring back your recordings, the rule of thumb is to listen to the final product on whatever is the closest to what your AUDIENCE will hear it on.

That's why audio suites since the beginning of the modern recording era have not only the large "full range" speakers that reveal all the sounds recorded - but smaller "real world" speakers that can be switched into the playback system. For decades, I worked in suites where they would have spent thousands on the main monitors - but nothing left the shop until it was listened to on the Auratones - speakers that sounded roughly like a junky car or portable radio speaker.

The thinking was that if it sounded OK on the little cubes - it would sound OK everywhere.

FWIW

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Speakers or just headphones?
on Mar 9, 2010 at 11:57:43 pm

Hello Stan,

If the headphones are Sony MDR-7506 or Audio Technica ATH-M50, you should be OK, but it is noce to hear your own voice over really good monitors.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]