FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording two mono channels through stereo plug?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Volland
Recording two mono channels through stereo plug?
on Mar 8, 2010 at 6:03:46 pm

I have a Edirol R-09HR audio recorder. I am wondering if I can feed it 2 separate sources through the mini plug. Is there a cable that will allow a mono source to be carried on left channel and a separate mono source to be carried on right channel?
Thanks for your insight.

OSX 10.5.8 - Final Cut Studio 2 - 2x3.2 Intel Quad Core - 4G ram

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: Recording two mono channels through stereo plug?
on Mar 8, 2010 at 10:05:55 pm

Sure.
"Stereo" (in the case we are discussing here) is actually two mono signals already.

The "left" channel will be fed from the TIP of the "stereo" plug.
The "right" channel will be fed from the RING of the "stereo" plug.
The SLEEVE will carry the common ground/shield for both channels.

Here is a cable that will fit the bill-

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3452165

There are many, many more.

If you you wish to feed your recorder from line-level source(s,) you need to choose the "Line-level" input.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Mar 10, 2010 at 2:12:04 am

Thax is correct, but I will add that you are using unbalanced cabling. As long as your keep your cables short (15ft or less to play it safe) and keep other equipment away from them (listen for noise when recording and move one thing away at a time), I think you'll be fine that way. Just realize that there is a much greater potential for interference due to the unbalanced connections.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Mar 10, 2010 at 7:46:33 am

"Thax is correct, but I will add that you are using unbalanced cabling. As long as your keep your cables short (15ft or less to play it safe) and keep other equipment away from them (listen for noise when recording and move one thing away at a time), I think you'll be fine that way. Just realize that there is a much greater potential for interference due to the unbalanced connections. "

True whether you are recording stereo or mono. It appears to be an unrelated issue.

Return to posts index

Brian Volland
on Mar 10, 2010 at 3:29:42 pm

Well great, I will try a regular Y cable and give it a test while monitoring for inference. Thanks for the replies.

OSX 10.5.8 - Final Cut Studio 2 - 2x3.2 Intel Quad Core - 4G ram

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Mar 11, 2010 at 7:32:34 am

Well, that may be true for this unit, but a number of others do have balanced inputs that are also on mini TRS jacks (I think the Zoom H4n is this way). I should hope that the user manual would let the user know this, but they don't always get read before use.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]