FORUMS: list search recent posts

IEM's comparable to Sony 7506

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodney Morris
IEM's comparable to Sony 7506
on Mar 4, 2010 at 2:10:48 am

I want to add a set of IEM's to my bag to use instead of my Sony 7506 headphones. I frequently wear over-sized hats to shield from the sun during baseball spring training. Wearing headphones pushes the brim down and slightly defeats the purpose of wearing the hat. Also IEM's are much cooler in the summer time. So, does anyone have any recommendations for an IEM that sounds similar to the Sony 7506 (which I've used for over 12 years now)? Sorry if this has been covered before.

Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: IEM's comparable to Sony 7506
on Mar 4, 2010 at 1:13:39 pm

Hey Rodney,

Etymotics.

Regards,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Mar 4, 2010 at 2:04:13 pm

Hey Ty - hope you're doing well. Thanks for the response. I'm assuming you're talking about the ER.4 IEMs. Do you have any experience with the Etymotic line? I do like the 7506 (with it's frequency shelving), as it emphasizes the noise that we are often trying to eliminate on the field. So I would like to get a set of IEMs that has a similar freq response.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 4, 2010 at 2:15:20 pm

Hey Rodney,

I have no direct experience with in-ear monitoring, but those whos opinions I trust seem to like them for certain applications. They do change the listening experience a lot. You're a lot more isolated with them. You should also have a hand close by for the volume control, as you can't just flip them off your ears when they get instantly loud.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Mar 7, 2010 at 10:24:48 pm

Rodney,

I routinely use Shure E3/SCL3 IEMs for monitoring (on-location audio and monitors for performers on stage). I have found them perfectly acceptable for my uses. I'm not a big fan of multiple-driver systems as they fatigue your ears more quickly.

If you are going to use them all the time, I think it would be in your best interest to get custom molds. The cost is pricey up-front, but in the long run, you'll reap the benefits of better isolation, low frequency response, and a much more comfortable fit.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Mar 9, 2010 at 2:44:29 am

Thanks for the reply Jordan. I haven't used any multiple driver iems so I'm not familiar with the fatigue accompanying the design. I've used a set of OSP dynamic driver iems both as a musician and as a location sound mixer. They're OK, but they don't sound full range to me.

Rodney Morris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]