FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best speakers for mixing

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
taras groves
Best speakers for mixing
on Mar 1, 2010 at 12:04:05 pm

Hi all, I just posted a recent thread on equipment I will be buying soon but am having trouble making my mind up on speakers. I do not want to spend loads (as for a final check up i will probably check my audio in a studio). But I want monitors that will allow me to do a good job mixing my feature films. I was looking at a pair of genelec 8020s for 900 dollars. However, they do not come with a sub and some say I should need a sub as well, but that addes an extra 800 dollars to the mix! Agh! Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. Taras

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Best speakers for mixing
on Mar 2, 2010 at 3:44:01 pm

I'm a fan of Genelecs. Without a sub, any parts of your mix that contains low frequencies (music, explosions, etc.) will be off. How much extra time in a studio will you spend correcting the low end? How's that cost compare to the cost of the sub?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Martin Longrie
on Mar 3, 2010 at 7:55:30 pm

I am extremely pleased with my KRK RoKit 8 G2 for mixing. They run around $500 a pair. If you can get your ears in front of these you might be surprised. I also am a fan of Genelecs but budget was a factor in my purchase.

Martin Longrie
P&H Mining Equipment Inc.
Marketing Communications
Milwaukee, WI

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 4, 2010 at 12:45:38 pm

Hello Taras,

Genelec, indeed, has a great reputation for its studio monitors. I have not heard the 8020, but they are smallish relative to the monitors typically used for accurate monitoring. Genelec does make larger, more expensive monitors with better low frequency control. Until I heard the 8020, I would be concerned that I was being lured by the deserved reputation of the larger monitors but being switched to smaller Genelecs that simply don't compare.

I'm NOT implying any sort of deceit, almost all mfgrs issue at least three models in their lines to cover varying budgets. When you buy a Nova, you know you're not buying a Corvette, right? Regardless, some buyers do fall prey to having bragging rights by buying the big names, but lower in the line where performance suffers.

There is an absolute cost for performance, although there are sometimes surprises. What would the cost of larger Genelecs that wouldn't require a sub-woofer be?

Have you compared similar JBL, K&H, ADAM, Meyer and Event monitors? Are you comparing active to active and passive to passive?

It does take some time to sort it all out. You may find, or may have found, that the 8020 with sub are, in fact, the ones that work for you. Right now, I have larger JBL L100 passive monitors powered by a P4000 Hafler amp and Event Opal powered monitors. They are above your budget, but I plan to have them a long, long time. In fact, I have been using the JBL L100 with different power amps for over 30 years. They still rock. People who listen to them just say, "Wow."

In an upcoming postproduction book I am currently writing, I go on for several pages about the importance of good, accurate monitoring. Take your time and make the right choice once.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

taras groves
on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:22:53 pm

hi all thank you for the advice. Ty, could you paste me a link so I can see the exact speakers you use and amp. (Also by amp does that mean sub?) I tried looking on bh photos but loads of jbl speakers came up! Thanks Taras

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 5, 2010 at 3:28:26 am

Taras, Trevor,

I'm using the Event Opals: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/584942-REG/Event_OPAL_Opal_Bi_Amplifi...

and JBL L100 w/ hafler power amp. The JBL are vintage, but I do see some for sale on ebay.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=jbl+l100

Hafler is out of business, but here's the dope on the P4000.
http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/P4000_datasheet.pdf

A sub is different and neither of these systems require a sub.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

trevor bye
on Mar 4, 2010 at 9:02:54 pm

i need good speakers as well

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]