FORUMS: list search recent posts

mic selection

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Maloney
mic selection
on Feb 28, 2010 at 6:56:22 pm

Hi Ty and all. need some help with mic selection. I am pretty well set for my over the shoulder work, lavs, shotgun and such. But what would you select for a panel say of 4 sitting at a table answering questions. these people might not be to savy at keeping th mic pointed at them or speaking directly into it. I was looking at the Shure 48. What might be best for this, something like what they use in the witness box in court, that the talent does not have to eat the mic to be heard.
thanks all
Tom

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: mic selection
on Feb 28, 2010 at 8:23:05 pm

Hello Tom,

The SM 48 is basically a lower cost SM 58. For your use they should be OK. Get good mic stands so they can be vertically adjusted and don't fall over. If you want to go overboard, get isolation mounts to help isolate the mic from inevitable table tappers.

Regards,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
Re: mic selection
on Mar 1, 2010 at 5:18:27 am

The SM-48, cheap imitation of an SM-58 though it may be, is a little tank. When I ran the av department for a large science museum and another department would request a mic., but without a member of my staff to supervise it's use, I gave them an SM-48 because I didn't care if it got destroyed. Those poor mics suffered many indignities at the hands of inexperienced, careless users and came back with their pop screens banged into many interesting shapes (I sometimes wondered if they were being used as hammers), but they still worked. As for the use being discussed, if this is for recording and not sound reinforcement, why not go with one of the many good choices of pzm/boundary layer microphones from Crown, Audio Technica or Shure. They've always served me well for recording panels, conferences and board meetings where participants are almost always people with no mic skills and no interest in being coached on how to speak into a mic.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]