FORUMS: list search recent posts

pads to attenuate line level to mic

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
pads to attenuate line level to mic
on Feb 19, 2010 at 9:28:16 pm

I recently had to take a feed from an audio board for a mic-level wireless transmitter. I borrowed an XLR inline -30db pad, and it worked fine. (I presume that the audio board was feeding line-level out.) Now I'm shopping for my own pad, for the next time I encounter this situation. I noticed that Audio-Technica makes its AT8202 Attenuator with "10, 20 or 30 db of Selectible Attenuation."

Do you recommend a selectible attenuator, or can I get by just fine with just a -30db pad, for example the Whirlwind model? And, is there anything wrong with this method of dealing with line-level outputs for a mic-level transmitter?

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Mark Barroso
Re: pads to attenuate line level to mic
on Feb 19, 2010 at 9:36:15 pm

Why not have the flexibility of a selectable attenuation? Another way to go would be to buy the XLR cable for your transmitter that allows you to input a line level signal. I know Lectrosonics and Sennheiser makes them for their units, but don't know about AT.

FCP 6.0.5 /
OS 10.4.11 /
Mac Pro 2x2.66 Ghz Dual Core/ 2G RAM
External: FW800 G-tech 500 HD and G-Tech Quad 750GB
playback deck: Pan dv2500

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 19, 2010 at 10:07:51 pm

[Mark Barroso] "Why not have the flexibility of a selectable attenuation?"

Don't know - that is my question. Is selectable attenuation worth it? If -30db will always work, I could live with the lack of flexibility.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Feb 19, 2010 at 10:46:03 pm

Here is a link to how to make your own pads...
http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/
They are easy to make, a 40db pad is better to drop line level to mic level.

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Feb 20, 2010 at 3:23:34 am

Indeed, I was about to recommend Rick Chinn's website myself. I bought a bunch of "phase inverter" adapters from http://www.audiopile.net ($3.25 ea). I will keep a few as phase-inverters, but I am going to re-wire the rest of them as 10 or 20 or 30db attenuators, using Rick Chinn's web information.

Yes, you need the flexibility of various amounts of attenuation. Just because your latest encounter with "line level" was solved with 30db attenuation doesn't mean that your next job will need the same value.

I'm making my own attenuators because I enjoy building/hacking equipment almost as much as using it. And, of course, because I'm profoundly penurious. I have been making my own cables and adapters since I was in high school in the mid 1960s.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Feb 20, 2010 at 5:19:25 am

Yay for Audiopile! Mark & Liz are wonderful to do business with, aren't they?

Selectable pads are a great thing - just make sure to not skimp on components, lest your (the OP) circuitry not be up-to-snuff and distort.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 20, 2010 at 5:24:41 am

Greetings Mr. Cole. Welcome back to the Cow Audio Forum.

When Interfacing pro line level gear (0 dB, + 4dB, +8 dB) with consumer line level gear, most of which operates at -10, having a -10 or -15 pad can be helpful.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Feb 20, 2010 at 10:14:32 pm

usual pad for a mixer out (line) to a mic transmitter is -40db.
Stinging hot pro products like digi beta or hd vtrs need and extra 10 but thats not what you asked.
peter

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 21, 2010 at 2:08:09 am

Sounds as though I'll need either several pads or a switchable. Because I have to travel by air a lot, I need as compact a kit as possible. Should I buy a switchable pad or is it better to have separate pads? I saw some criticisms of the Hosa variable -20/-30/-40 pad on B&H.

I have a -10db Whirlwind XLR inline attenuator/pad. Can I stack the pads, i.e. travel with just the -10db Whirlwind plus, say, the Audio-Technica AT8202 -10/-20/-30, and add the -10db Whirlwind to have the full range through -40db?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 21, 2010 at 2:32:05 am

Robert,

The Magic Eight Ball says..........stacking pads creates potential connection do-dahs that may be unstable and unflattering. Do so at your own risk unless you're name is Rube Goldberg.

Many people think Hosa is sub par. I have a few of their cables and have not experienced problems with them.

Your pal,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]