FORUMS: list search recent posts

Double MS

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Reynolds
Double MS
on Feb 19, 2010 at 9:45:30 am

I found some info on Double MS recording, Has anyone on the forum tried it?

”Double M/S” is an improved version of the well-known M/S stereo recording technique. In addition to a frontfacing cardioid or supercardioid ”mid” microphone and a figure-8 ”side” microphone, a rear-facing directional microphone is set up. The front- and rear-facing microphones share the signal of the figure-8 microphone so as to form two complete, back-to-back M/S systems. One M/S system then provides the three front channels (the center channel signal being provided directly by the mid microphone of the front system), while the other system provides the two surround channels. An arrangement of this kind allows flexible processing of the stereo surround image width and post-production adjustment for both of the M/S pairs.

http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/categories/doublems
http://www.paudio.com/Pages/learning_Wittig.html

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Double MS
on Feb 19, 2010 at 1:38:38 pm

Hi Brian,

I haven't. You need to commit to the idea that the sounds that's happening around you is really what you want and then take it from production to post production. There are not many situation in which this happens. In motion picture production, surround is meticulously constructed in post.

So, my thought has always been, "Is this a 'because we can' thing?"

But don't let me drop a wet blanket on you. Get out there, grab some sound and let us know what happened!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Feb 19, 2010 at 8:41:06 pm

I've done it. It's fairly easy with my Beyer MC742, but, as Ty said, it's not very useful for most real-world projects...at least that's what I think he meant.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 19, 2010 at 8:53:36 pm

Will,

Ah, you have cracked my code! I'll have to make up a new one.:)

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Feb 20, 2010 at 5:14:37 am

I have not tried Double M-S in the field, or even normal M-S anywhere but a studio recording type of setting.

That being said, I would love to try it sometime and hear the results.

Does anyone know if "No Country For Old Men" was done with this method or similar? I only got to hear it in stereo, but the sound design was fantastic - a good dichotomy of simple audio with complex preplanning, I'm sure, since there was so much nat sound involved. Either way, props all around for such a refreshing audio perspective.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]