FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good digital recorder for film audio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
taras groves
Good digital recorder for film audio
on Feb 15, 2010 at 11:57:50 pm

Hi all, needing some advice. I wanted to get some opinions on the best digital recorders out there for film. I will be filming with a panasonic ag-dvx100b and using a mkh50 and some lavs and would like a backup which would be strong enough to use if there were any audio problems on the dvx100b. I've heard good things about the tascam recorder, marantz (though slightly more expensive), and the zoom h2 and h4. What do you advise? Thanks Taras

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: Good digital recorder for film audio
on Feb 16, 2010 at 5:41:02 am

[taras groves] " wanted to get some opinions on the best digital recorders out there for film"

While that list is full of good recorders, they are not the best for film, as your question asked.

Check out the Sound Devices or Zaxcom lines if you want the best.

If you want an affordable 2-track recorder with no (or mediocre) metering, poor monitoring and no timecode support, then the h4 will probably do. Ditto for the others in your list - after that it's just what recording medium you prefer and the features unique to the model. The pre-amps of each are probably on par with the preamps in the DVX100, which are good, but you have the delay issue and a very noisy headphone amp, so the standalone recorders do have that going for them.

A step up would be the Tascam recorder here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/404262-REG/Tascam_HD_P2_HD_P2_Portabl...

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]