FORUMS: list search recent posts

Protable Digital Recorder and Boom mics?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Rohlf
Protable Digital Recorder and Boom mics?
on Feb 11, 2010 at 9:46:50 am

Hey guys,

New to the site and new to audio equipment. I'm on a fixed budget, but I'm looking at a decent boom mic which is shown here:

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATR-55-Condenser-Shotgun-Microphone/dp/B0000...

Now I've always used my Sony HD Sr10 in-built mic, but I'm sick of the low quality that it brings me and I want better audio for upcoming films. Now my camera doesn't have an external output for any kind of external mic so I have to record audio separately and then edit it later to match it up with the video. My question is:

If I bought a portable digital recorder like the one below:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICD-PX720-Digital-Voice-Recorder/dp/B001RB1XVQ/r...

Even though they are different companies could they still be compatible to use? And if I record the boom mic to the recorder, would the recorder have the quality of the boom mic or the recorder? I'm sorry if the question is confusing, but if anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Protable Digital Recorder and Boom mics?
on Feb 11, 2010 at 3:18:43 pm

You haven't mention what KIND of things you are shooting? Or exactly WHY you are dissatisfied with your current setup? Or your budget?

There may be better mics these days than the ATR-55. And that very low-cost recorder may leave you still unsatisfied.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 11, 2010 at 4:17:54 pm

Hello David and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Richard's questions and observations are spot on.

The recorder only records mp3 files. While it could be said that all HDV format video uses mpeg compressed audio, and that works for some things, depending on your use, and whether your editing system will recognize these files, you may want more.

The mic you chose is discontinued. It may be OK, but not knowing your camera or your intended use, we can't help. If you intend to camera mount it, the improvement may be marginal.

I don't know of any cameras without mic inputs (not output, btw) that are that great. From my position of not knowing enough, though, my suggestion would be to look for a better camera.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 13, 2010 at 3:29:56 am

Ty's right about mp3s being a potential problem. Final Cut, for example, does not care for mp3s. It (and most pro NLEs) expect to see aiff or wav files at 48kHz (not 44.1 as with CDs). That way the audio should sync well with the video. And slate takes so you can easily line up your audio and video during post.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]