FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edirol R4 Pro Timecode

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Martin
Edirol R4 Pro Timecode
on Feb 8, 2010 at 9:58:28 pm

I'm considering a purchase of the Edirol R4 Pro. Does anyone have experience using the time code features?

From the manual it just seem a little funky with external sync and wanted to understand it better.

How does the tc options operate compared to the Sound Devices 744T?

Thanks,

-Mike

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Edirol R4 Pro Timecode
on Feb 8, 2010 at 11:24:58 pm

Hi Mike,

There are a couple of differences between the R4 Pro and the 744T:

The R4 has RCA outputs, the 744T uses XLR's. And the R4 Pro does not offer the 23.976 frame-rate. Depending on you're project, these differences may not matter.

Best,

Dave J

Return to posts index

Michael Martin
on Feb 16, 2010 at 4:47:25 am

Thank you for your feedback. I do see that on the website it lists these frame rates:

23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 29.97D, 30, 30D

http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/en/products/edirol-by-roland/field-record...

Maybe an update added 23.976?

-Michael Martin
Martin Media Designs
Location Sound/Audio Post Production/Sound Design

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Feb 16, 2010 at 2:42:30 pm

You're right. This appears to be a different (or updated) unit than the one I looked at.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Feb 9, 2010 at 4:15:56 am

Can you rent one for a non-important shoot and give it a test run? That's my preference - always try the gear in situ so that you know how it will function when put into the situation you have in mind.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Mar 17, 2010 at 1:43:06 pm

Hey Michael, just saw your post about the R-4 Pro. I upgraded to the pro from the R-4 last year specifically for the missing drop frame TC option. While it has worked flawlessly for me, I will tell you that when I use the R4 to generate timecode and send it to my cameras, all of the cameras sync to the same timecode, yet the TC embedded on the .BWF(s) from the R-4 Pro is always off! Why would a device record TC that doesn't match the TC it generates? Couldn't tell you, Edirol couldn't tell me. It's not off by much, just enough that I always need to adjust the audio files when I'm editing.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Dec 30, 2011 at 3:56:50 am

Hey Chuck - hate to bring up an old thread -- but I was thinking about getting the R4-Pro, and the issue you mention about BWF timecode being off from the TC sent to other devices is alarming.

Were you ever able to troubleshoot this?

Return to posts index

Michael Martin
on Dec 30, 2011 at 7:30:05 am

Daniel,
I used one for over 2 years and found it very reliable although a little on the cheap side compared to a 744 or 788. Invest in NP1 batteries, you can get 15 hours on 1 charge. I only had 1 complaint about timecode which I figured out was a miscommunication between the AC and myself. If you want to be very accurate use a lockit box on the R4-Pro and one the camera that way you know that you're using absolutely perfect clocks on both devices. I did this whenever I worked with a camera that could jam timecode, especially red since they lose timecode when power gets disconnected.

-Michael Martin
Martin Media Company LLC
Location Sound/Audio Post Production/Sound Design

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Dec 30, 2011 at 2:35:46 pm

Thanks for the response Michael. If I may ask another scenario:

What if the R4pro was sending LTC timecode into a a DSLR, like a 5D? The LTC audio track should line up perfectly with the BWF files, correct? That kind of what I'm trying to achieve for my personal projects.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 1, 2012 at 3:54:03 pm

It 'should' work, but you need to test.
In my experience i've seen offsets between BWF and TC out if the 'preroll' function (record a bit before hitting the record button) was used.

If the offset is always the same, it's easy to compensate.
Also, be aware you need an Avid to decode the LTC, or shop with me (fcpAUXtc reader. Don't let the name fool you, it works with any NLE that supports QT.)

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jan 1, 2012 at 4:10:48 pm

Thanks for this great advice about the preroll function.

Yes, I'm an Avid editor as my day job, so this is exactly why I've been bent on using the LTC function.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]