FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to mic a poker table in Hell?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Walker
How to mic a poker table in Hell?
on Feb 4, 2010 at 10:25:00 pm

Well not hell exactly, more like a bar. Situation is: 6 people seated around a poker style table, with constant, uncontrollable background bar noise. The people have a long (1 hour) conversation, and all recorded audio is wonderfully clear above the raging din of the venue (hah!). If that wasn't fun enough, there will be ~16 of these conversations with different people over 2 days (same table used).

I am less of a sound guy than an after effects junkie, so forgive my ignorance, but my gut feeling(after wanting to puke) is to go with wired omni lav mics, one for each person, plus hang an overhead omni condenser like Audix M1255 or something to get room noise(in case we need more!) and base reference mix.

With this setup I am most concerned about phase issues with having a fairly tight grouping of the lav mics. Would going with a boom and a hypercardoid overhead mic be a better choice? Only problem is, poor boom guy is going to be holding that thing over the proper person, for 8 hours straight, 2 days in a row. I don't even think that's ethical, and I hate sound guys (just kidding :P)

It also may be in the budget to hang some kind of draping/sound baffle blankets to isolate the table area a bit, but I am not sure how much room there will be, or if it would even be worth the effort vs how much it would reduce the noise.

Any tips would be great! Even will accept guffaws.

-------------------
Robert Walker
GMR Marketing LLC

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: How to mic a poker table in Hell?
on Feb 5, 2010 at 10:38:37 pm

Hello Robert and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Yes, the scenario is a mess. I'd try a Shure http://www.shure.com/proaudio/products/mixersanddsp/us_pro_scm810_content

or audio technica
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/mixers/ca9d0c25011ae61e/index.html

8 channel auto-mixer (six on the talent) configured in "last mic left on" mode, hard-wired lavs and as many sound blankets hung around the table as sight lines will allow.

I like the AT unit a bit better because it has a few more features and has mic or line level out.

You might want to rent one to see if it does what you want before you roll tape.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]