FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is my speaker/monitor blown?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Bissonnette
Is my speaker/monitor blown?
on Feb 1, 2010 at 10:38:18 pm

Hey everyone, I appreciate any help. I am from the video side and am seeking the knowledge of any audiophiles.

I have two M-Audio BX5a monitors. They are hooked into a M-Audio Fast Track Pro which then runs to my Mac Pro. I came home today to the sound of a loud buzzing coming from one of the monitors.

The buzz only comes from the right monitor. It does it even when disconnected from the FTP and regardless of the volume setting on both the monitor and FTP.

The buzz is very loud. Much too loud to be caused from a nearby cellphone or anything like that. (At least I think) Plus only one monitor does it, so I doubt it's any type of interference.

It seems like the sound is coming out of the tweeter cone (the smaller cone) and not the larger woofer cone. (Did I get these right?)

The speakers are only 1 year old, and have never been turned up all the way. I don't really know how it could have happened. But let me in on any info you guys might have.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Is my speaker/monitor blown?
on Feb 2, 2010 at 5:14:59 am

Eliminate all the variables that you can. Take out the audio cable from the back of the monitor and see if the buzz goes away. If it does, you may have a bad connection at one end of the cable (intermittent or shorted connections).

Are the monitors plugged into the same circuit? If so, then try to find out what else has been plugged into/added to that same CIRCUIT (not just the outlet) since you first noticed the buzzing. If they are not plugged into the same circuit, make it so and note any changes.

After you've done all that, it may be prudent to contact the manufacturer and see if it's covered under warranty.

Good luck!

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Is my speaker/monitor blown?
on Feb 2, 2010 at 7:03:50 pm

If your monitor does this with NOTHING connected to the input, and with the volume control turned all the way down, then you likely have a blown power filter capacitor in the tweeter power amplifier. The only remedy is to send it in to be repaired. Hopefully it is still under warranty?

OTOH, if the noise (probably hum) goes away with the input disconnected, then your problem is upstream somewhere. You can swap left and right to do some differential diagnosis.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]