FORUMS: list search recent posts

Voice Over Recording

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Martin
Voice Over Recording
on Feb 1, 2010 at 9:05:15 pm

I am looking to do some voice over work and I was wondering what the best setup would be on an honest budget.

I work for a car dealership and I'm doing video walkarounds for the cars. We would be recording the voice over on an iMac in my office but I'm not sure what kind of microphone to buy, or if I would need any pre amp or other hardware to get the best result.

At most I might be able to spend $200 to $300 on the whole setup for the audio recording but I need to have the voice over be as clean and professional sounding as it can be without a sound studio. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
Re: Voice Over Recording
on Feb 1, 2010 at 9:27:49 pm

http://www.bluemic.com/yeti/

It's a $150 USB mic. It'll plug directly into the iMac and let you record great audio right into your production software.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 2, 2010 at 2:29:30 am

Hello Andrew and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

So, if you're doing walk arounds, they won't be recorded? They will be recorded but with no voice?

Professional quality audio is not trivial and it costs more than $200.

If you want to try meatball audio, and If you will only be doing VO, try using your camera mic as an audio recorder. Forget it's a camera. Get 4-6 inches away from the mic on the camera and try that.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Andrew Martin
on Feb 3, 2010 at 1:15:02 pm

Audio in the camera is obviously going to be inadequate especially because of the space that we are filming in, hence the decision to post narrate. I know professional audio is thousands of dollars and $200 probably will not get me far. If you have any suggestions even if they are outside of the range I previously posted that would be great.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 22, 2010 at 12:09:55 pm

Hello Again Andrew,

You're not following me. When I said to sue the camera as an audio recorder, I meant that. As an audio recorder, in a separate space, not on the set. Got it? It's just a box that records audio and video.

However, if the on-camera voice is the same person as the VO, then you really should record the VO in the same acoustic space.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Adam Johnson
on Feb 2, 2010 at 4:55:23 pm

A know a pretty successful voice over artist who uses the M-Audio Fast Track Recording Bundle, which comes with USB interface, mic, and recording software

http://www.aabaca.com/m-audiorbundel.html

I think there are different bundles available which provide different software options

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Feb 22, 2010 at 5:40:34 am

I have to jump in here. What kind of spots do you want to do? Do you want to do small market TV and AV stuff, or do you want to compete ona national level? I started on an m-audio 10x10 with an EV RE20 and a blue tube pre amp. I also read VO in a closet full of clothes. My audio did have some hiss due to the RE20.

I knew that if was going to compete for Ford, T Moble, Career builder etc, I had to had the sound a recording studio could produce. I bought a Neumann TLM103 and build a really nice sound enclosure. The 103 is very sensitive. I also got an mbox and use pro tools. All in all I had about 6-7K invested to start.

Decided on what level you want to compete, then talk to a sound engineer and they can tell you what you need. If you are going to read on 200 mics or lavalier camera mics, you will never get and large market or high paying jobs. The client wont' accept it.

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 22, 2010 at 12:58:26 pm

Nelson,

I appreciate your fervor but, please go back and read the first post. Andrew works for a car dealer and does video walkarounds. He wants to do VO for those recordings. Building a VO booth is not necessarily the answer here. It may be if he wants a separate career in VO.

Getting professional advice of an engineer is a good idea. We try to do that here. In fact, I'm a federally-licensed electronics engineer and hold an FCC General Radio Telephone Operator's License.

I've been pretty obsessive about noise. I bought my current house because of its basement. It's VERY quiet. I had to do some acoustic treatment for the interior and I did add some noise abatement post construction, but it's quieter than most VO booths I step into. My space and chain are typically quiet enough that I don't really need to record room tone, although I always offer it.

BTW, don't blame your RE20 for noise. RE20s are very useful for VO. As with any system, the weakest link compromises the entire chain. With a high quality preamp, the RE20 works just fine.

In general, I'm not in favor of building booths in homes, because many of them result in "small room sound" because of foam and early reflections. I much prefer using an entire room for the recording and stowing the noisemakers in other rooms or closets. Cable extensions are a lot cheaper than double walls and ceilings. Having said that, every situation is different.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]