FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is a great camera mic?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
What is a great camera mic?
on Jan 31, 2010 at 9:43:28 pm

I am looking for a great mic for my camera. I want to mount it to the shockmount or through a hot-shoe mount. I know mounting on the camera is not the best idea, but it is so much more conveinient to have a mic on each camera for an event I am shooting (a rap battle) where the folks are within 5 feet of the actual camera. I want something that is going to pick up the sound really well. I'll take something cheap and expensive and I'll decide from there. Any advise would be helpful.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: What is a great camera mic?
on Feb 1, 2010 at 4:20:26 am

What camera? Does your camera not already have a microphone in/on it?

If you have used the on-board microphone, what did not not like about it?

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Feb 1, 2010 at 4:53:01 am

I have a DVX-100, and HVX-200a, a PDX-10, a XL-1, and an HD-200u. I just figured it would be better to pick something up and spend some more money for something. Maybe I am wrong. I always use the shotguns on the cameras as the internal mic pics up motor noise.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Feb 1, 2010 at 6:48:01 am

So are you just assuming that the camera mics will not work for your application? Or have you actually tried it? Suggest not trying to select a new microphone until you know how your current setup works, and what exact problems you are trying to fix.

Doesn't seem likely that motor noise would be a big problem with "a rap battle where the folks are within 5 feet of the camera". The camera microphone may not be suitable, but you need to know WHY. Because any other microphone mounted ON the camera will suffer from some of the same problems and you could spend a lot of money and solve nothing.

Will these rappers be using sound equipment? Your first choice would be getting a feed from the sound system for one channel, and using an ambient mic (perhaps the one on the camera) for audience reaction, "room tone", etc.

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Feb 1, 2010 at 8:50:22 pm

Nope. These folks will just be rapping to each other without a sound system. While I understand one can only get away from the motor noise with distance from the camera but I just want to make sure I can get the most realistic and natural sound. I have not tested the mics in this situation but I have on other occasions. They are the stock camera mics. I thought those were supposed to be cheap.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Feb 1, 2010 at 6:33:53 am

Rent a mixer and a room mic or two and get a feed from the mixing board for the sound reinforcement system. Use the rented mixer to blend the feed from the SR console and the room mic(s) you also rented. Make sure you have a pair of headphones that are able to isolate you from the external noise.

I also recommend hiring a sound person to help you. Mayhaps you have the budget?

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Feb 1, 2010 at 8:51:06 pm

There is not sound system there. How/where do you recommend I put the room mic(s)?

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Feb 1, 2010 at 9:24:31 pm

When I ask myself "what is a great camera mic?" I think of the Sanken CS1 first. It's compact, it doesn't draw attention to itself, and it sounds awesome. It needs phantom power to operate.

When I think of filming a rap battle on the street with the rappers five feet in front of the camera, I think I might experiment with a stereo shotgun mic like the Audio Technica BP4029. But, a CS1 might be better.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mueller
on Feb 1, 2010 at 10:28:22 pm

I have a Canon XL-H1 which has got to be similar to your XL1 mic wise. While not the ultimate option, at 5 feet my on camera stereo shotgun mic would do an admirable job. I once tried putting a Sennheiser ME66 into the camera's shock mount, beware, it bounced in and out of frame at full wide angle. Two boom operators would sound ideal to me. I don't think going up on the fidelity of the mic is going to make as big a difference as getting the mic on the subjects.

Jeff Mueller
http://www.ApertureVideos.com
Santa Barbara, CA

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Feb 1, 2010 at 11:23:34 pm

The little shotgun that comes with the PDX10 is surprisingly good....

They make cold shoe mounts that can position a larger shotgun higher and out of frame depending on the camera.

Also...on a camera like the PDX10, you can cross over and record one mic input to both channels...allowing you to set the levels high and low to be able to hear the quieter parts, then switch channels for undistorted louder parts.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Feb 2, 2010 at 4:36:19 am

I do like this feature a lot. Thanks for the advice.

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Feb 2, 2010 at 4:35:50 am

I appreciate this info. It is quite expensive by an interesting thought.

Return to posts index

John Fielden
on Feb 12, 2010 at 10:09:53 am

There is only one "great" camera mic, which is what we use in television production and that is the Sennheiser 416. It is an all-around natural sounding microphone and is the industry standard.

I have also used an Audio Technica stereo shotgun microphone with good succes if you need to record in stereo.

Visit http://roll-sound.com

Return to posts index

trevor bye
on Mar 4, 2010 at 9:30:00 pm

i was always told camera mics were bad to use because of bad acoustics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]