FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lav - Phono Out instead of Mic Out

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Asher
Lav - Phono Out instead of Mic Out
on Jan 28, 2010 at 1:26:39 am

I'm using Audio Technica PRO88 for some interview & voiceover recording. When I run the Mic Out to my camera or straight to the Mic Input on my Mac the audio levels are very low. In order to use these levels I will have to amplify the audio a lot for final mixdown.

So is it totally bad/taboo to go from the Phono out on the Pro88 receiver to the camera or Mac inputs?!? I get much better levels but with this lav system its in mono which isn't a problem...

I'm not sure whatelse I could do? Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Lav - Phono Out instead of Mic Out
on Jan 28, 2010 at 7:11:50 am

The most significant risk is probably that the phone (headphone) output is probably not as "clean" as the main output since it was designed only for monitoring and not for the main signal path.

OTOH, if the main output level is so low that it is causing a poor signal-to-noise ratio, then using the phone output may be the better alternative. Certainly you should try it both ways in a controlled experiment to confirm which option is better.

It doesn't seem "normal" that the output of the receiver should be so low. It may very well be an indication that something is broken and in need of repair.

(Note that the word "phono" refers to phonograph and a different kind of connector. It is confusing when used in the wrong context.)

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Jan 28, 2010 at 7:14:39 pm

Apple computers don't have mic-level inputs, they have line-level inputs. That's why you're getting a low level recording directly into the computer.

We need to know what camera you're using, and what output cable you're attaching to the Pro 88W.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:02:08 am

Note: There's consumer line level, which is -10 and pro line level which is 0, +4 or +8.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
on Jan 28, 2010 at 12:10:13 pm

This mic's receiver has an 1/8" UNbalanced mic-level output.

How are you connecting it to your camera or mixer (what kind of adapter cable?)

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 28, 2010 at 3:02:35 pm

Bill,

Thax may be on to something. He usually is. :)

It could be a "plumbing problem."

More info...

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Jan 28, 2010 at 5:51:58 pm

Thax may have something here...

The unbalanced line might not be playing nice with your balanced input. A truly balanced input will only allow the differences in the signals of each leg to pass (noise is the same on both legs, so it cancels out). It may be that the Tip and Sleeve of the unbalanced connector are giving the Tip-Sleeve and Ring-Sleeve connections of the balanced (and not auto-unbalanced-connection-sensing) connection the same signal, thus causing a cancellation of most of the audio.

What you're hearing could also be due to an impedance mismatch.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Jan 28, 2010 at 5:43:14 pm

Make sure that your camera's inputs are set for Mic Level and not Line Level - if they're looking for Line, you would really have to crank the gain up.

What camera are you using?

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Bill Asher
on Jan 30, 2010 at 7:58:12 pm

Ok.. sorry for not giving more info here.

My camera is a Canon XH-A1, it goes from 1/8" to XLR on the camera. I'm going to pull my rig back out and take a look. I'd love to get to the bottom of this.

As you all are the pros, you definitely have something going here... I know on my Mac I notice a HUGE difference in levels and on the camera it seems to be a smaller difference. Which could be what Sam is referring too.

Stay tuned. If anything else comes to mind please shoot it my way!!

Basher

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]