FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio recorders for double system recording with the Canon EOS D7

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Lerew
audio recorders for double system recording with the Canon EOS D7
on Jan 27, 2010 at 11:17:01 pm

Hello,

I'm planning to use the Canon EOS 7D for a documentary and had a couple of questions regarding double system audio recording.

What should I be looking for when evaluating an audio recorder?

Is it possible to send tone from a mixer and set the level on an audio recorder?

Any recommendations on other audio recorders to consider? I've been looking at the Zoom H4n and the Tascam DR-100.

Cheers,

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: audio recorders for double system recording with the Canon EOS D7
on Jan 28, 2010 at 2:42:16 am

What to look for:

First, you want to make sure that the recorder has the correct connections on it for your uses (XLR, mini-XLR, 1/4"TRS, 1/8"TRS, Firewire/USB, etc.). Then, you'll want to find out how many tracks it can record simultaneously, at what bit rate/sample rate, and for what length of time. Data storage capacity should also be taken into consideration (is it: fixed, upgradeable, swappable, etc.).

After you've found units that fit those criteria, you can move on to customer reviews and torture tests, if available (check youtube). Those will tell you about the durability and reliability of the units.

NOW THEN...you seem to have your budget in mind - around $450USD maximum, I take it. If you're looking for brand new units, there aren't really any standalone multitrack units out there for that kind of change, but you can search for used ones (my recommendation). You might be able to make your original choices work, I guess.

With the devices you listed in your post: if you want to record more sources than are allowed by your devices' I/O capabilities, you'll have to buy/rent a mixer (and don't forget the mixperson, either) and mix everything down LIVE AND ON SET to a stereo/dual-mono recording, which you can work with in post-production. A quality mixperson will be able to give you very workable results so long as you accomodate their needs for soundcheck and TAKING THE TIME TO GET THE AUDIO RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

Let's keep the ball rolling...anyone else?

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 28, 2010 at 2:59:36 pm

Hello Lawrence and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

>>What should I be looking for when evaluating an audio recorder?

How important is the piece? If you want peace of mind, better quality and a device that will survive longer, it will cost more.

>>Is it possible to send tone from a mixer and set the level on an audio recorder?

Depends on the mixer. Any of the Sound Devices mixers come with that feature. Sound Devices just debuted the 552, a five input mixer combined with a two track recorder. Very cool. Very high quality.
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/552.htm

Buy it now, use it for years.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Jan 28, 2010 at 5:38:52 pm

"Sound Devices just debuted the 552, a five input mixer combined with a two track recorder. Very cool. Very high quality.
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/552.htm"

Hey...that's spiffy! I'd look into that if I had the need to. :-) Nice find.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Jan 28, 2010 at 9:06:11 pm

Ty is right on the money with his recommendation. The 552 is perfect for double-system situations that might not have the budget for larger, multiple box configurations.

The 552 has excellent pre-amps, 5 input channels, an internal recorder that can go 24/48 and higher, AND has timecode input. I have a slew of Sound Devices products and can attest to the design, build quality and customer support - probably the best of any modern audio company out there.

One of the things lacking with the DSLR workflow is, of course decent on-board audio, but also timecode. I would consider a timecode slate to be a necessity with a DSLR. That timecode slate would need to generate the code to send to the recorder (most do), or receive TC from a stand alone generator.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Jan 28, 2010 at 7:09:34 pm

One feature you're going to need is the ability to record 24-bit 48kHz uncompressed audio files. Also, if you're using a field mixer, you're better off using a recorder with line-level inputs. As always, everything depends on how you plan on working. The number of microphones you are going to use, the number of individual tracks you need to record, how many direct outputs your mixer has, etc. These all play a role in determining the kind of recorder you need.

The trouble with running double system like this is that you end up with a lot of equipment to operate. Camera, mixer, mics, recorder, lights, clapper slate, human beings, mother nature... it can be a bit much. Having an experienced sound person working with you can make all the difference in the world.

I did the sound on a shoot last month with the Canon 5D mkII. I had two wireless mics and a boom going into my Sound Devices 302. I recorded the audio from the Tape Out on the 302 into my Edirol R-09HR at 24-bit 48kHz. I had the two wireless mics panned to the right and the boom panned to the left. I brought my clapper slate and a PA operated it. We made sure to slate at the beginning of each take. The shoot was a success and the director was pleased with the results.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 29, 2010 at 2:27:35 pm

>>One feature you're going to need is the ability to record 24-bit 48kHz uncompressed audio files.

Sam, and others,

I have had at least two situations in 2009 where the project was being edited on Adobe Premiere; a version old enough to NOT recognize 24-bit files.

It's always a good idea to sort the work flow details before production begins.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]