FORUMS: list search recent posts

zoom h4n quality?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian hoven
zoom h4n quality?
on Jan 27, 2010 at 5:39:04 pm

Not sure if this is the right area to post this question. But my mother would like me to record some piano pieces of her. Would this recorder give me enough quality to then take the recordings into my audio daw to fix up?

We would use her pro XLR mics.

thanks

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: zoom h4n quality?
on Jan 28, 2010 at 1:07:04 am

YES.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Jan 28, 2010 at 2:18:44 am

If you learn how to use it correctly, it can absolutely allow you to do that.

I prefer to record at 16-bit/48kHz and dither down to CD quality (16-bit/44.1kHz) if I need to meet standards.

The on-board stereo mics would be great for room mics and you could use the XLR inputs for close-miking the piano.

What type of mics are at your disposal and how do you plan on using them to record the piano's sound (placement, mic pattern, etc.)?

Keep us updated and feel free to link to a recording when finished (just get permission in writing - even if it's your own mother).

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 28, 2010 at 2:52:40 pm

and, of course, remember that what she plays is probably copyright protected...by someone.

Posting her playing of someone else's material without permission is a copyright violation.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Jan 28, 2010 at 5:37:08 pm

Ty does have a point.

If it's her own music, get signed permission (just in case). If it's not, make sure it's old enough to be considered for public domain.

OTHERWISE...don't post it, sell it, or play it anywhere until you get the proper licensing to do so. It will cost money.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]