FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio XLR "Y" & "Z" cables

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Reynolds
Audio XLR "Y" & "Z" cables
on Jan 27, 2010 at 10:06:49 am

I was recently asked to make a "Y" cable... Male XLR to 2 Female XLR's to be used on the camera so 2 microphones could be combined into 1 of the cameras inputs.
Now while technically possible it needs to be noted that doing it this way the background noise will increase and it gives NO control of individual microphone levels, and should NOT be used for critical audio recording. This is where mixers come into their own giving control of levels and dropping unused microphones.

I have two "Z" cables (2 Male & 2 Female XLR's in a Z configuration) in my kit I find them much more useful as they can be used as a Combine, Split, M-M or F-F cable.

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: Audio XLR "Y" & "Z" cables
on Jan 27, 2010 at 4:07:22 pm

[Brian Reynolds] "Now while technically possible it needs to be noted that doing it this way the background noise will increase and it gives NO control of individual microphone levels, and should NOT be used for critical audio recording. "

It's also a very quick way to ruin a +48v power supply and maybe even a pre-amp... NEVER use a "Y" cable on an input.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Audio XLR "Y" & "Z" cables
on Jan 27, 2010 at 6:01:26 pm

I suggest you read this article. A wye cable should only be used for passively splitting a signal. If combining passively, there should be resistive summing so that there isn't an impedance mismatch.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]