FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shotgun vs. Cardioid: indoor use

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fernando Mol
Shotgun vs. Cardioid: indoor use
on Jan 24, 2010 at 3:04:32 pm

Hi,

I'm considering buying a mic for indoor interviews. Most of them will be shot in office ambient and conference rooms. Actually I use a lavalier with good results, but I think not wiring the person will help with the confidence of the non professional speakers.

I was looking for a good shotgun, but I found some articles talking about better results in indoors using cardioid mics, when ambient is reflective. I'll do some tests first with borrowed mics, but I want to know if anyone here have some advice.

Thanks in advance

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Shotgun vs. Cardioid: indoor use
on Jan 24, 2010 at 3:52:25 pm

Hello Fernando and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

What you have heard is true. Please let me explain. Better yet, watch this little video and listen with good speakers or good headphones.

http://cinemasound.ning.com/video/ty-ford-mic-tutorial-video

My suggestions for boom mics for inside use are:

Schoeps cmc641
Audio Technica 4053b
Audix SCX-1 HC

Please bear in mind that the farther the mic is from the person speaking, the worse the sound. You can have the best mic on the planet and it'll sound worse than an omni lav as you get farther than two and a half feet.

Think about every dramatic TV show and movies that you see. Sure, in some cases, lavs HAVE to be used, but a good boom mic just on the edge of frame (18 inches or less from the mouth) sounds so much better. Want your dialog to sound as good as the big time movies? Get a cmc641. Also get sound blankets to reduce the sound blurring reflections. Deploy them on hard surfaces like floors walls, ceilings, that are not in the shot.

Get good headphones, Sony MDR7506 or Audio Technica ATH M50. They make a VERY big difference in helping you find the right spot for each mic.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:10:27 pm

That is such a great tutorial, thank you very much for the help.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 24, 2010 at 7:48:05 pm

Mr. Ford has addressed the issue with using shotgun mics indoors (not recommended because of close reflections). And he has given you the list of preferred microphones widely used in pro video and audio production.

For people on a tighter budget, the Oktava MK012 with the hypercardioid capsule is a popular alternative. Many "indy filmmakers" like it.

Some vendors offer kits custom designed for film/video production. Here are three that I know about, but here may be others:

The Sound Room http://www.oktava.com/inc/sdetail/474

Oktava Shop http://www.oktava-shop.com/view_prod.php?id=110

Oktava USA http://www.oktavausa.com/ProductsPages/MK-012-01FilmEditon.html

The kits from the Oktava Shop and Oktava USA include a low-frequency rolloff filter. And the kit from Oktava Shop includes a foam windscreen (suitable for indoors, but not outdoors use if there is much wind. :-)

Note that all the mics that Mr. Ford suggested, and the Oktava here require phantom power from a mixer or camcorder with XLR mic input.

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Jan 25, 2010 at 5:24:32 pm

All good advice, but I just want to emphasise that you want a "hyper-cardioid" small diaphragm condenser, not just a cardioid. Hypers give you a little more reach than cardioids. I use the AT4053 and I'm really happy with my sound.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:14:02 pm

Thank you for pointing that out. Actually I'm asking in different local stores and they only offer me cardioid condenser mics. I'll continue my search and let you know how it all goes.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:11:55 pm

Thanks for the links. I'm having a hard time finding an hypercardioid small condenser mix here in my city (Monterrey, Mexico), so maybe I'll have to go on-line.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]