FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions for indie film recording

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Neitz
Suggestions for indie film recording
on Jan 21, 2010 at 10:56:25 pm

Going to be shooting some "for fun" short films soon. We have access to a Canon 7D and want to go 2-system for better audio.

Any suggestions for cheap(er) recording gear - or good places to start looking? Thinking a digital recorder, boom pole, shock mount, wind zeppelin, and shotgun mic. Also probably an in-line mixer. Was looking at the Tascam recorders, possibly Ars Technica mics.

it's been a LONG time since film school and using a Nagra. Love some tips before I delve too deep into web reviews.

THANKS in ADVANCE!

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Suggestions for indie film recording
on Jan 23, 2010 at 2:07:20 am

You might want to set some budgetary limits to help people understand what (or where) you are looking.

In November and December the new Rode NTG-3 shotgun was extremely popular because vendors were selling it with a very nice blimp/fur windscreen at an extra $1. But even though the special offer has expired, the NTG-3 still appears to be a very good value for the money.

Many people shooting double-system sound on low budgets are using small digital recorders like the Zoom H4N and similar devices. If I were in the market for a small digital recorder today, I would seriously look at the Fostex FR2LE. Oade Brothers sells several good Edirol, Fostex, Marantz, Sony, Tascam models with improved mic preamps for better recording performance.

I just got a Sign Video ENG-44 mixer which appears to be a decent performing low-budget (~$500) field mixer of the more traditional form-factor. Juiced-Link also offers smaller mixers. If you are looking up-market, then Sound Devices makes some very nice mixers and digital recorders which are well regarded in the industry.

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
Re: Suggestions for indie film recording
on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:19:00 pm

Thanks Richard. Excellent places for me to start. Definitely want to keep the entire audio budget under $1000 - which I would think could get us decent gear for our immediate needs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]