FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording audio

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Guberman
Recording audio
on Jan 20, 2010 at 10:42:40 pm

I am going to film a dance recital on a large stage in a large theater. I just need to record the music, there is no dialogue. There is a soundboard at the back of the theater, right next to where I will be filming. I have a Canon XHA1. Can I just connect to the soundboard at the back of the theater or do I need microphones on the stage? Thank you! All help is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: Recording audio
on Jan 20, 2010 at 10:55:37 pm

You do want to connect to the mixer, but you'll need permission and help/cooperation from the audio operator.

(Plus the proper connections, of course, and a thorough TEST well before the program begins.)

AND, (on the other channel of the camera) you'll want a mic in the room.

Audience APPLAUSE is always a part of a good recital recording.

You might want to put your live mic near the stage to pick up any sound of the dancers'
shoes, and other "natural sounds" that occur.

Be sure and WEAR good HEADPHONES throughout the entire event while you record.
That way, if you hear any PROBLEMS as you record... you can address them ASAP.

Return to posts index

Ashley Guberman
on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:00:18 pm

Thanks. Can I use XLR-TRS cable to connect to the mixer?

Return to posts index

Mark Barroso
on Jan 21, 2010 at 1:40:20 am

Yes, if that's what the mixer wants; it may be an XLR mono out. In a pinch, you can do headphone out of the mixer. But do listen. Most boards these days modulate even line level, so nothing is standard. The key is to arrive plenty in advance to test everything.

FCP 6.0.5 /
OS 10.4.11 /
Mac Pro 2x2.66 Ghz Dual Core/ 2G RAM
External: FW800 G-tech 500 HD and G-Tech Quad 750GB
playback deck: Pan dv2500

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Richard Crowley
on Jan 21, 2010 at 2:35:15 am

Several questions/issues not disclosed in your original question...

Is the music live? If so:
* Are all the instruments miced for recording?
(Or just for PA, or Not miced because they are acoustic?)
* Will the sound system operator give you a recording mix
(not simply a PA mix) from the board?

Is the music from recorded tracks? If so:
* Can you just get a copy (CD) of the tracks?
If so you can simply drop the tracks into the editor.
* Will the sound system operator give you a feed?
Do you have the proper cables, adapters attenuator(if needed?)

Does the dancing need to be miced?
* Is it flamenco, tap, or some sort that produces sound?
* Do the dancers make any other incidental sounds?

Do you need to produce a "live" recording with audience reaction?
* Do you have microphone(s) to mic the house/audience?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 21, 2010 at 4:06:56 pm

Darn Richard,

You smacked one over the fence with these questions. Thanks for giving the Cow the benefit of your expertise.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ashley Guberman
on Jan 21, 2010 at 9:10:49 pm

Thanks so much. I am working on talking to the sound mixer to get all of this information and I will answer all of your questions. Thanks again for your great questions.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 23, 2010 at 8:10:39 pm

I've videotaped many dance recitals and there's a factor that may affect how you edit the program. I first noticed it at a recital where I was getting a board feed (BTW have pads on hand in case the feed's too hot) and had mics open at the back of the house by my cameras. When I listened to the mix of both channels during a rehearsal, I heard a distinct delay. Sound travel 1 foot in a millisecond, so after about 8 feet you start to hear the delay. Depending on which audio you use - the board or mics - you may need to slip the audio and video in relation to each other so the action on-camera matches the audio track. This offset will remain constant throughout the performance.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Greg Parrish
on Jan 25, 2010 at 10:30:56 pm

I also videotape various events, some where I cannot check in advance what will be available. Here are my two cents. Bring your own (xlr) cable, approach the person operating the audio mixer with a warm sincere smile and ask nicely for their help. Put together a set of connector adapters so you can convert from what ever the mixer may have for output to what you need for input. Be aware of the issue of ground loops. When ever you plug into AC, someone else plugs into AC, and you connect your equipment together, you have the potential for a ground loop. This can insert a "hum" into your audio. I generally operate from batteries so it is usually not an issue for me. I do carry a cheap hum eliminator (ground lift) in my kit.

I did have one event where several news groups were all plugged into the same mixer. Someone had a ground loop and I think we all got the hum :-)

Hope this helps.
-Greg

Return to posts index

Ashley Guberman
on Jan 26, 2010 at 1:00:14 am

This is a lot of help. Thanks for the ideas. I am definitely going to bring several adapters in order to connect to the mixer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]