FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD 302 & Comteck Package

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Maloney
SD 302 & Comteck Package
on Jan 19, 2010 at 3:16:23 am

Hi Ty and others, I have a question for you please. I am using my 302 snaked to camera ,sending a mic level. Camera does not take line levels well. I have a wireless boom op feeding my mixer. I would like to also send a audio signal back to my boom op and director using the Comteck package ( not purchased yet ) but in reading the specs on it if I understand correctly it only takes a line level signal.Any ideas how to semd a mic and line level out of the 302 together? Could I use tape out? thanks to anyone that knows more about the Comteck system.

Tom

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: SD 302 & Comteck Package
on Jan 20, 2010 at 6:07:20 am

Sending (Mic) level from the mixer to a camera using a snake can cause problems with leakage from the return signal. You would be better sending line level and then adding a pad on the input of the camera dropping it down to mic level. The same thing with the comteck.. send at line level and the pad down.
Here is a link to pad making http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/
from what you have mentioned you will need 3 x 40db pads

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jan 20, 2010 at 3:58:13 pm

Hi Tom,

I have a 442 and use the "tape out" for my Comtek. I do try and run "line out" on my masters when I can.

Best,

Dave J

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 21, 2010 at 4:10:13 pm

Tom,

Brian and David have given you very good advice. I use a Canon XL2, that only takes mic level through the XLRs, so that's what I feed it. After 3-4 years, so far, so good, but I'm always a little concerned about the lower mic level and interference.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Jan 21, 2010 at 7:39:45 pm

"Any ideas how to send a mic and line level out of the 302 together? Could I use tape out?"

Yes, you can use the Tape Out. The Tape Out is line-level only. So, if you've attenuated the main XLR outs of the 302 to mic level to accommodate the camera, it does not affect the level of the Tape Out. You need the Sound Devices XL-3 cable for this:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/accessories.htm

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Jan 27, 2010 at 7:14:39 pm

On the 302, I will often split the headphone mix out with a mono "Y" splitter. That way the L channel can go to the boom op and the I can monitor the wireless systems on the R channel. It can also be done with the tape out, but only if it's split track. The headphone feed is more controllable. Having the boom op monitor a mix of sources is not good. Of course, If you are going wireless to the mixer from the boom, you need to be monitoring that as well or have a boom op you can trust to catch RF hits.

If you are sending a mix back to the boom op hardwired, why not go to the mixer hardwired? A wireless link is never as good as a wired link.

A couple of passive splitters (as well as a better active splitter pair) is always good to have on set. Of course, you could always upgrade to the 442 and eliminate a lot of the hassle.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]