FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bye bye 700 MHz

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Kolb
Bye bye 700 MHz
on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:50:44 am

So...with the supposed deadline for wireless operations in the 700 MHz band (698-806MHz actually), what are those of you with equipment in that band planning on doing? Tossing it? Using it anyway? Manufacturer upgrade programs?

If nothing has changed, I believe the proposed date fro the deadline was February 17th, 2010, but I don't know if that held or not...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
Re: Bye bye 700 MHz
on Jan 16, 2010 at 12:55:14 am

That's a tough one. Fortunately, all of my Shure and one of my Audio Technica systems are outside that range. One AT and one Azden system are in. Curiously, Azden's advice to me was to listen for active users and if there aren't any, just go ahead. I'm not sure that's really good advice. I feel sorry for the facility I used to manage, with dozens of Shure UC systems that all fall in that range, directly across the river from Manhattan, and they have to replace everything.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 16, 2010 at 7:18:52 am

"All users of 700 MHz Band wireless microphones (and similar devices) who wish to continue to use their equipment – including users such as theaters, churches, schools, conference centers, theme parks, and musicians – will need to retune (or replace, if necessary) their equipment no later than June 12, 2010...."

"... If information on the device indicates that it operates on frequencies between 698 and 806 MHz then the device uses the 700 MHz Band and may NOT be used after June 12, 2010...."

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/wirelessmic_advisory.html

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Jan 17, 2010 at 1:49:06 am

That's pretty unambiguous

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jan 17, 2010 at 7:56:08 am

I still use some old VHF mics at 202.5 and 193.7 mhz which fit in guard spaces for the local TV stations. I always feel better doing fishing docos and other risky jobs with old mics.

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Jan 18, 2010 at 12:14:03 am

Good point about the VHF units. I also still have a couple of Shure VHF units in service, along with my more modern frequency agile UHF systems, and those old units have never failed me in any rf environment.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com

Return to posts index

Mark Barroso
on Jan 18, 2010 at 1:33:19 am

Don't panic. The 700 frequencies will be good for you for a long time. Here's what Lectrosonics has to say about it: http://www.lectrosonics.com/PressReleases/whitespace/whitespace.htm.

Basically, although that spectrum has been taken from us, no one is rushing in with devices that will overpower your system. Lectrosonics will change your system's block for about $275/unit if you're really worried.

FCP 6.0.5 /
OS 10.4.11 /
Mac Pro 2x2.66 Ghz Dual Core/ 2G RAM
External: FW800 G-tech 500 HD and G-Tech Quad 750GB
playback deck: Pan dv2500

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jan 18, 2010 at 2:54:41 pm

It sounds as is at least some variety of Lectrosonics units that are frequency agile have some frequencies outside the range in question.

I question the corporate liability of them assuring their users that it will be OK due to that fact that many users will be "going pirate" for a period of time (no matter that it is probably quite true).

I buy things on eBay from time to time and have noticed the increase in wireless mic sets/components with frequencies in this range, or with no frequencies specified.

"Buyer beware" indeed.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 19, 2010 at 7:34:03 am

The fate of the 700 MHz band has been known for a decade. The FCC did nothing to discourage the sales and use of of thousands (10s of thousands?) of units. Indeed, they act as if they didn't know what was going on. "'I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!" The FCC has become just another politicized government bureaucracy.

Probably way less than 5% of all wireless mics were ever "licensed", so most users are "going pirate". Note that the users who WERE licensed have no benefits to show for it. They must jump out of the 700MHz pool just like us pirates. Arrrg! :-)

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jan 19, 2010 at 5:42:23 pm

[Richard Crowley] "The fate of the 700 MHz band has been known for a decade."

I guess that would be right as the "DTV transition" has been only slightly faster than continental drift.

I guess I was curious to see what manufacturers were doing to offer their customers an avenue to comply...

I've been surprised by how many VHF units I still see in service. I suppose the longer range still has it's applications.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]