FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rode Videomic or Rode SVM

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Leyba
Rode Videomic or Rode SVM
on Jan 9, 2010 at 2:48:03 am

What is a better microphone for my Sony HDR-Fx7 camera? I've been looking at Rode Videomic and the Rode Stereo Videomic. Suggestions? Or if there is any mic better than the 2 within the price range is good. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Rode Videomic or Rode SVM
on Jan 9, 2010 at 11:33:16 pm

I will answer the question you posed with a question, Is what you shooting in stereo going to end up in stereo?
You must think of a stereo mic as 2 microphones both OFF axis of what your trying to capture the sound from, so if at ANY stage of the shoot, transfer, edit, master, release or show the product it will be in mono then a stereo mic would be a negative.
So if you can think about that dilemma, you will have your answer.

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Justin Leyba
on Jan 10, 2010 at 1:37:06 am

Yes it will be stereo.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Jan 10, 2010 at 7:00:11 am

Any microphone that is located back on the camera (in other words: too far away from the source, in most cases) will be found to lack the "in your face" feeling that a microphone close to the source will have.

That being said, a mono microphone will probably sound more focused and/or "closed", that is, not allowing as much ambient noise in.

In comparison, a stereo microphone will sound more "open" since there are 2 microphone elements picking up the sound. The difference in the arrival time of the sound at these elements is what makes the recording "stereo" and not just "dual mono" (the same signal on 2 separate tracks/channels).

It's possible to sum the stereo information to mono, but it might not turn out as nice. I'm all for a nice stereo sound, but if the mic is too far away from the source to be useful, it won't matter what type of mic you mount on the camera. Of course, I could just be assuming...prove me wrong?

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 11, 2010 at 1:19:23 am

Hello Justin and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Wolf is on the right track. What exactly do you want to record?

Mics on cameras, in general, don't do very well.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Justin Leyba
on Jan 11, 2010 at 11:13:25 pm

So You guys are saying that the Rode Videomic is better than Rode SVM?

I will be using it in everything: short films, documentaries, family parties, events, live band, etc.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 12, 2010 at 12:12:47 am

Justin,

No. Using any camera-mounted mic is a bad idea. You need to get the mic much closer to the talent. Otherwise, you will land squarely in the land of "why don't my videos sound like professional videos."

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Jan 12, 2010 at 10:43:25 pm

I like the R0DE Stereo Mic better. The R0DE Video Mic will be a little more directional, more like a traditional shotgun mic, but I think its shockmount it is a little too wobbly. The R0DE Video Mic is cool for what it is, but between that one and the Stereo Mic, I like the Stereo Mic better.

The Stero Mic is a little beefier, and the shockmount doesn't wobble as much. It's a great on-camera mic (it's a killer mic to have for a Canon 7D or 5D mkII), even though it is a little large. Both the Video Mic and the Stereo Mic have an integrated 3/8" thread on them, so they can be mounted on boompoles. R0DE also sells a 10 foot cable to use on the mic when using a boompole. 10 feet isn't terribly long, but it's enough to get a boompole happening and take care of the issues the other posters brought up.

The real reason I like the Stereo Mic better is that everyone I've ever met who has used one just raved about the sound quality. If you're going to be recording live musicians, I think it would the better mic to have. It seems like a good "general" stereo mic to have at your disposal.

Return to posts index

Justin Leyba
on Jan 12, 2010 at 11:52:05 pm

I would also use it in my short films too though. Does it still do a good job in capturing dialogues?

ps: Thanks for the suggestion!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 13, 2010 at 2:02:09 am

Justin,

Again...NO!

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Justin Leyba
on Jan 22, 2010 at 12:58:18 am

Hey guys!

I ended up buying the Rode Stereo Videomic. It works really great. It's really an all around mic. I got the VC1 extension cable too. So I won't board it on my camera. Thanks guys for the respond!

Hey Ty, Nice video about the Rode Stereo Videomic too.

Return to posts index

Justin Leyba
on May 23, 2010 at 4:30:04 am

Hey guys!

I've recently bought the rode videomic too.
I think that both the stereo and mono videomic would be a great combination.
Mono for dialogues and Stereo for ambient noise.

So just letting you all know. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Jan 14, 2010 at 2:15:43 am

Your audio will be practically unusable if you leave the the mic back at the camera. YOU MUST GET THE MIC AS CLOSE TO THE SOURCE AS POSSIBLE!!! If you don't get it close, you will pick up way too much of the reflections from the dialogue and whatever other room noise(s) might be present.

Here's my say on the matter: if you want a mic for capturing dialogue when the camera is far away fro mthe source, buy a mic that you can mount on a boompole.

If you want a mic that can capture good ambient noise to layer behind your dialogue, etc., I'd go for the stereo mic.

If the stereo mic can be mounted on a boompole, then go for it! You won't have to worry about panning the dialogue around the screen :-) Just make sure you know what side is Left and which one is Right. If it has a true stereo output, you should be able to isolate the sides and make them mono as necessary.

Now, repeat after me: "I will get my mic as close to the source as possible...", "I will get my mic as close to the source as possible...".

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Beethoven Jaeger
on Apr 12, 2011 at 9:27:27 pm

Hi,

I find myself in the same situation as the original post, choosing between the videomic and the stereo one.

As you people seem to know your stuff, I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Obviously, choosing between those two mics means I've never done any recording using live sound before.

The reason I want to get a mic is for recording children telling stories, in open spaces, with no control over the enviroment. I'll go around in different places.

Obviously the budget is as limited as it can get. But there is no point on doing this proyect if I cannot get usable audio. The end proyect would have mainly only music, recorded in a studio, with shorts stories in between, where I need live audio with decent quality.

Shall I go for the stereo for the better quality and put it as close as I can, or with the more directional cheaper videomic I could actually get better sound.

Thanks a lot to all those that share their knowledge.
(sorry for my poor english)

Regards,
BJ.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 12, 2011 at 9:57:14 pm

Hello BJ and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Your english is exponentially better than the six words I know in German, and three of those are beers.

Go for the Video Mic Pro.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Beethoven Jaeger
on Apr 12, 2011 at 11:59:13 pm

Thanks a lot for the fast reply,

I appreciate it a lot.

...actually, I quite discarded the videomic pro, since here the videomic cost around 100€, and the Pro around 190€, and in the Rode web page they have exactly the same specifications, excluding the size and weight. The NTG-2 is around 209€, which is meant to be much better than the videomic, so for the 190€ of the Pro, I suppose I would go for the NTG-2.

The thing is that now is not the moment, and even though 200€ in a mic is nothing (I own AKG mics for studio recording) in this moment I should go for the lowest I could. I hope in the near future I will get proper mics, but for the moment, this is what I'm looking for.

Having said that, it's not worth to make unusable shooting if the sound is going to be rubbish, so I would be open to pay the extra cash for the Pro version if it offers some little extra quality with is worth it. Always knowing we are talking about the cheapest gear in the market.

What a long reply! Sorry about that,
Your oppinions are very welcome. As I said, I never recordered live, so I appreciate a lot any input.

Thanks,
BJ.
Thanks again,

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Jun 3, 2011 at 5:58:47 pm

A $25.00 lav, pinned to the chest of the subject, sounds "better" than a $1000.00 shotgun mic 10~15' back on the camera!

Placement is everything.

MJM

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

Melvyn Triselburger
on Jul 26, 2011 at 10:16:59 am

TY Ford,

I have just found this thread in my search for information about the Rode VideoMic Pro and Stereo VideoMic. However, I found something much better...

The lush reverb and your god given guitar sound I must confess brought me close to tears, and this I confess, as a man of few words (after the war), this is hard for me to admit. May I please say sir, your smug and condescending tone is whole heartedly appropriate because as a sonic soundscapesmith, you are a modern day genius (of the audio kind) whose sonic authority knows no bounds.

Let me say, your guitar playing is exponentially better than a six year old German who has had three beers'. I would like to ask, have you ever considered recording an album with Jeff Lynne? I think you both share the genius gene, and the same astounding taste in moustache elegance.

God bless you sir, I have know found meaning to my dull and miserable existence.

Yours,

Melvyn Triselburger

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 26, 2011 at 1:00:12 pm

My Dear Mr. Triselburger,

Condescension and Smuggery were never on my pallet for this thread; and seldom are, in general.

Perhaps you could enlighten me as to where you see either (or both) in my comments.

I'm positive Jeff Lynne would not have me. I was not aware that six-year old Germans were allowed to drink beer. Perhaps that explains the outcome of the war.

Your self-deprecation exceeds elegance.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Phyllis Keith
on Oct 23, 2011 at 7:23:30 am

greetings, i started recording at nightclubs with amplified music...rap and b-boys...trying to figure out which mic for my dslr would be most suitable for this type of recording...thank you in advance for any response.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 23, 2011 at 4:19:46 pm

Hello Phyllis and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

WHat do you expect to record in the clubs?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Phyllis Keith
Re: ode Videomic or Rode SVM
on Oct 23, 2011 at 6:41:54 pm

Hello Ty,

My main purpose is to capture the spirit of the performers and the energy of the event, however, I'd like to try an external mic vs. the internal mic to improve sound.

For example, I recorded a hiphop event last night with DJs and EXTREMELY LOUD BLASTING music...my style is to move around with the camera, and so if I had an external mic, I would keep the mic on the camera in that situation.

The second example is recording rappers in a night club...footage which they might put in their music videos to show the crowd. Because of the large crowd actively participating, I sit on the bar off to the side or perch on top of a banquet to stay out of the way and not interfere in the clubgoers' experience. It might be possible to place a mic externally in the club near the rappers, but being a novice I have no idea where, with blasting beats and a crew rapping.

To get to the point, getting one of the Rode mics is what I want to do even if only to achieve a modicum of improvement in sound. The question is which one is most practical.

I have seen your posts to others on this forum that the mic should not be used on the camera; also, I have heard the incredible sound on the YouTube video you shared--wow. I understand where you're coming from as far as achieving an amazing sound goes.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
PK

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 23, 2011 at 8:43:30 pm

Phyllis,

The problem is the very loud sound of your environment. You may not be able to turn the record gain low enough. Typical camcorders were not designed to be operated in environments that loud. If you go with an external mic, you may also need a 10 or 20 dB pad to knock the sound down to a level where your camcorder cam handle it.

The Rode VideoMics have a pad, but I can't guarantee it'll be enough...maybe.

While the music is on, you'll never be able to capture conversation because the music will just be too loud.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Phyllis Keith
on Oct 24, 2011 at 11:12:33 pm

Hi Ty,

I have the Canon 60D. In the situations I'm recording video in, does it make a difference whether I use the Rode Video Mic or Rode SVM?

Thanks for the input; it's all very helpful.

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 25, 2011 at 1:45:17 am

Phyllis,

All three mics are equally sensitive. The original VideoMic offers -10 and -20 dB pads. The other mics only -10 db. All three say the mics can be padded for loud events, so how loud is loud?!?!?!?!

The original VideoMic did not do well when moved somewhat vigorously because the rubber bands in the suspension mount squeeked. Would you hear that in a really loud environment? I don't know.

If you won't be whipping the camera mounted VideoMic around much you should be OK. If you want more camera movement, I'd go with one of the other mics.

If I were you, I'd find a retailer that'd let me try each one so you could figure out what works best.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Phyllis Keith
on Oct 28, 2011 at 3:55:32 am

Thanks, Ty. I'm going to mull over this a bit more before I purchase. The input has been helpful. Phyllis

Return to posts index

Carsten Radke
on Jan 18, 2012 at 1:54:32 pm

Hi Ty,

I have tried to find an answer to my question but did not find one. My dilemma is that I have two situations where I will need a microphone to record while filming:

(a) for a DVD that accompanies a musical instruments learning course, i.e. one person playing instructive (music) samples on one intstument --> for which I would have chosen the Rode Videomic Pro

(b) for recording live music from 5-6 musicians --> for which I would have chosen the Rode Stereo Videomic

As the quality for the DVD might be more important than the live samples, I might have gone with the VM Pro. Also, does a mono recording of live music sound really bad? Or is there a way to alleviate this?

Been brooding over the question for two days. Would greatly appreciate a tip. Kind regards, Carsten

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 18, 2012 at 10:03:33 pm

Carsten,

It depends on your expectations. For a tutorial, I would want a headset mic like the Countryman E6 and a direct or mic for the instrument.

For a group playing.....playing what? How loud? Where?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Carsten Radke
on Jan 19, 2012 at 10:07:16 am

Thank you, Ty, for your swift answer; very kind.

The (a)-type recording is for a tutorial on learning to play capoeira instruments, i.e. I want to record Berimbau, Atabaque (barrel drum) and Pandeiro (tambourine). Also the accompanying voice-over. It's a personal project for now and funds for a 'professional' mic like the Countryman E6 is sadly not in the budget. Would the Rode VM Pro (on a mic-stand near the source (instrument or speaker) give an acceptable result? (Ok, what does acceptable mean... ;-) Or would another mic in the price-range give such better results that I should chose that one forego the video-mic functionality of the Rode?

For the live music situation, it's mainly for recording capoeira roda baterias, i.e. 3 Berimbaus (one string bows), stand-up drum and tambourine. Mostly in academías (training gyms) or public places. The loudness is medium - it being non-amplified acoustic instruments. With sometimes ambient noise (mostly people). But maybe the important information here is that I would think that the recording material is, independently of what mic is chosen, in any case not suitable, i.e. good enough, for "musical" use, e.g. on a CD. So, these recordings would mainly be for documentary purposes - to re-record the songs later, preserve the lyrics or as the original sound of video footage.

This purpose (original sound for video) might call for a stereo mic - but I am a musician, not video artist, and currently I need the video for the tutorial project. This project is the one at hand for which I would need an 'adequate' setup.

Thx again and kind regards,
carsten

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 19, 2012 at 1:22:18 pm

Hello Carsten,

As mentioned earlier in this thread, a $100 lav on the body will sound better than a $2000 mic too far away.

For the music, you will be recording percussion instruments. That's very tough. Even tambourines have extremely high transients. They can overdrive the audio very easily.

Yes, gymnasiums are large areas with hard reflective surfaces. The closer you get to the instruments, the more you gamble with recording too hot. The farther away you stand, the more slappy room sound you hear.

Stereo mic versus mono. If you will be moving the camera around a lot, a stereo mic can make the listener/viewer somewhat unsettled because of the shifting of the stereo spectrum. A mono mic doesn't have this problem, but you lose the spatial sound of stereo.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Carsten Radke
on Jan 19, 2012 at 9:08:39 pm

Thanks! I guess it's much more complicated than I can work out right now. But I'll just give it a go. There's no tutorial yet for the stuff I'm working on, so any material will be an improvement ;-)

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 20, 2012 at 2:35:55 am

Using a mixer with a good limiter before your camera can keep the percussion peaks from overdriving the input of the camera.

Look at a Sound Devices 302 mixer.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Sam Wheeler
on Apr 16, 2012 at 2:01:50 pm

Hello,

I was wondering which Microphone; The Rode Stereo Videomic Pro or the Rode Videomic Pro would be better for recording me talking strait into the camera.. No ambient sound will be needed.. And if the mic chose is better sound quality then the other one.. Also if the Rode Videomic Pro is chosen, is there a difference in sound quality than the Rode Videomic? Or is it just the size?

Thanks so much,

Sam

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 16, 2012 at 2:30:46 pm

Hello Sam and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Go with the mono mic for standing in front of the camera and talking.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Sam Wheeler
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:53:49 pm

Hello Ty,

Thank you for such a quick response.. So for the Mono Videomic (Rode Videomic Pro more specifically) is there a difference between that and the previous version the Rode Videomic? I see the size difference but the originals size doesn't bother me. In terms of sound quality which one is better?

Thanks so much!

-Sam

Return to posts index

Sam Wheeler
on Apr 18, 2012 at 4:17:29 am

Hello again,

Quick question.. I have been doing alot of research and hopefully I get a response soon enough.. I was looking into the Zoom H1 and it seems excellent, however I am looking to mount it onto my camera and film me taling about 3-5 feet away. So basically i want to use it as a shotgun microphone.. Would this be better sound quality than the rode videomic pro? Or is the zoom h1 just meant to be a close to mouth recorder? Would be very gratefull for a response. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 18, 2012 at 10:13:11 am

Sam,

You are off the grid with speculations as to what non-traditional gear MIGHT work. You really can't simply "look into" a piece of gear and rate it excellent.

Tell you what. Get one and let us know how you did.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Sam Wheeler
on Apr 18, 2012 at 2:36:32 pm

Hello Ty,

I base my speculations for the Zoom H1 from youtube videos. HOWEVER, every video is using the Zoom H1 up close as a hand-held microphone. I decided though, that I'm going to get the Rode Videomic (non-pro version) and the Zoom H1. I'm then going to feed the rode into the zoom for ultimate shotgun-recording ratio.. This should be best option as the sound will be alot crisper using the Zoom H1, yet I will still be able to get decent audio-range using the Rode Videomic.

I will let you know how this all works out and will post tests when I receive these items. Thank you for your time and I will contact you with any further questions.

Sam Wheeler

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 19, 2012 at 12:49:23 am

Sam,

Excellent. Let us know when you get something to post so we can hear.

Good Luck.

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

William Christopher
on May 28, 2012 at 7:47:21 am

Hi,

I'm looking for ideas for getting the best sound in an environment where I need to keep a low profile--which means a DSLR and some form of sound capture. Project is a documentary. No booms and, in most cases, even a lav is not feasible.

Only one assistant. Cannot appear to be a professional shoot.

Indoors, there will be panels of up to twenty-five people. Outdoor filming will consist predominantly of life snapshots including spontaneous interviews and interactions.

Price is not a key consideration.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

'Chris'

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 28, 2012 at 12:28:57 pm

William and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

What you seem to be describing is surreptitious recording. That is, recording people without their knowledge. That may come back to haunt you with legal problems because people who are in a scene, even if they are not not talking, have rights and you should get them to sign releases. That's why you see people's faces blurred out on some productions.

In addition, your audio will probably suffer.

Perhaps you could explain in more detail what you have in mind.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

William Christopher
on May 28, 2012 at 7:48:46 am

Hi,

I'm looking for ideas for getting the best sound in an environment where I need to keep a low profile--which means a DSLR and some form of sound capture. Project is a documentary. No booms and, in most cases, even a lav is not feasible.

Only one assistant. Cannot appear to be a professional shoot.

Indoors, there will be panels of up to twenty-five people. Outdoor filming will consist predominantly of life snapshots including spontaneous interviews and interactions.

Price is not a key consideration.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

'Chris'

Return to posts index

Henrik Madsen
on Mar 12, 2012 at 12:12:34 pm

Hi there
I have The same ting, wich mic to use?

I have made some video and agree that the closer the better BUT out dreams doesnt always come true.

I love using a beachtek gadget to my dslr to get the crispy audio with a nice mic and long XLR cables and so on. I just find myself in another situation right now.

I need i mic to put on my dslr, yes not the best, but i have to make the best out of the situation ;)
I need ti record 2 scenarios
1) The camera on a tripod filming green screen karoeke! I tried to take the audio from det player but the gear is crap and creates massive noise. I am a freelancer so i just have to make the best in The situation. The musik is loud but not overwhelming. Often there are 10 people sharing the 2 mic's on set so it have to record a lot of ambience or choire singing.

2) are at weddings or partys. I want the whole room and often people singing all over, speeches and so on. I cant run all over the location placing mic's and moving them, so i need a "all over" mic.

I knowi it's 2 stupid and not ultimate solution, but i need the best, so stereo mic or videomic Pro?

Thanx..

Return to posts index

Marcel Heemskerk
on Jul 30, 2012 at 2:01:10 pm

Hello Ty,

Another question on this subject. I'm making travel documentaries and i'm filming with a DSLR and a videocamera Canon XA10 which has XLR, both without rig.

I want to have two good mic's and i'm thinking about
(1) Rode NTG-1 or NTG-2

and

(2) Rode Videomic Pro or Rode Videomic Stereo Pro

For interviews i will be filming with both the DSLR and XA10, and i will put the NTG1 or NTG2 on a boom pole close to the head. For scenery and overview and other shots i will just use one camera with a microphone on the camera.

The NTG2 could fit on a DSLR because it has battery... which is nice, so i would chose NTG2 + Stereo Videomic, because both have different use. But the NTG2 is very big and is not really usable on a DSLR i think. So... other option is NTG1 + Videomic Pro (not stereo).. and always have Videomic on DSLR and have NTG1 on my XA10 with XLR.

I will be travelling with backpack in China, so i want to be able to put down my backpack, get gear, film a cool scene, and move on. Setting up a DSLR is harder (focus, exposure, no vibration reduction) so therefore i think i will just use the videocamera for these shots.

Should i go for NTG1 or NTG2.. and which of the VideoMic's to accompany it?

Return to posts index

Josh Parten
on Jun 1, 2015 at 6:11:21 am

Please Help..... Im using a rode svm mic on my canon xa10 and recording loud live alternative music performances... seems i cant get it dialed in and all sound is blown out. i have tried lowering the volume really low and its still blown out a lot off bass at these shows and is blowing the sound out every time... any thoughts... or settings on the xa10 i can set it on to help clarify the audio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]