FORUMS: list search recent posts

Idiot's Guide to TV Audio?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Hader
Idiot's Guide to TV Audio?
on Jan 8, 2010 at 7:39:57 pm

I can do expressions in After Effects, and keyframe till the cows come home... but can't seem to ever fully understand what I'm doing when it comes to audio. Especially when I need to edit a commercial for broadcast! I know what sounds good to me when it comes to mixing, but when it comes to setting my levels... thats when i get lost.

I use the Adobe CS3 package. Editing in Premier, i can fill left/right, raise the volume on a clip (even keyframe it), boost the gain on a clip, etc. In Soundbooth, I can remove a sound and other basic tools.

When someone asks me to set my music to -##db and VO to ##db, what does that mean really? My peaks? My average? Do i just look at my premier or soundbooth audio meter and guess-timate where its peaking is about where my target range is?, is there a way to precisely set this? Should i be Limiting or something? Whats the standard way of doing this?

Like i said... an idiot's giude would be great.

Any advice?

Thanks,

DH

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Idiot's Guide to TV Audio?
on Jan 10, 2010 at 9:13:50 pm

Buy yourself a current copy of Jay Rose's "Producing Great Sound for DV."

That and a quiet month to read, assimilate and PRACTICE the info contained therein and you'll know pretty much everything you need to improve your audio recording about a zillion percent.

Return to posts index

Derek Hader
Re: Idiot's Guide to TV Audio?
on Jan 14, 2010 at 12:44:11 am

Thanks for the tip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]