FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can someone please clarify ADAT ports?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graeme Hague
Can someone please clarify ADAT ports?
on Jan 8, 2010 at 3:58:50 am

This could be silly I know, but I have always assumed that ADAT optical I/O's such as you'll find on the Behringer ADA8000 must be connected to an ADAT product of some kind- at least at one end.

Suddenly I might have seen the light... so any two devices with an ADAT optical I/O will "see" each other and connect? Neither has to be an ADAT product? "ADAT" is like a protocol or a format?

So what's the difference between the Optical I/O on my M-Audio FW410 and the ADAT Optical I/O on the ADA8000? Is there a difference? I'm going to guess one carries only 2 channels while the ADAT Optical is specifically designed to carry 8 channels. Are they inter-connectable (yes, I just invented that word)?

Cheers, Bag.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Can someone please clarify ADAT ports?
on Jan 8, 2010 at 1:27:42 pm

Hello Bags and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The optical port on apiece of gear may be ADAT, S/PDIF or both, depending upon how it was designed.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Jan 8, 2010 at 4:14:51 pm

The optical interconnect you are referring to was originally designed for the "TOSLINK" low-cost 2-channel interconnect by Toshiba for consumer stereo equipment.

The same connector and fiber "cable" was re-purposed by Alesis for their unrelated 8-channel protocol. The ADAT interconnection system was originally proprietary to Alesis equipment, but has become a rather open standard used by others who make 8-channel audio equipment.

You are correct that is it quite possible that an "ADAT" cable configuration won't necessarily have Alesis-brand equipment at either end.

Return to posts index

Graeme Hague
on Jan 9, 2010 at 12:31:57 am

Thanks guys, it puts a slightly different slant on my audio interface shopping list. Cheers!

Graeme Hague
Author/Composer
Freelance Audio Engineer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]