FORUMS: list search recent posts

MOTU repair or new Audio I/O?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Grizzle
MOTU repair or new Audio I/O?
on Jan 1, 2010 at 5:26:40 pm

My MOTU 828 Mk II is acting flaky, failing to boot most of the time. I've unplugged it.

Turns out I did not register it. So I have to tear my rack apart to access serial numbers before MOTU will talk to me. Might as well pull two other MOTU devices and register them, too, when I get around to it.

QUESTIONs:

1) Is this thing worth repairing, or should I start shopping.

2) Does anyone have any experience with MOTU service & repair?

3) Is Apogee Ensemble worth $2,000 (I'm using Apple Logic), or is there better value for money these days? I've had various people tell me that Apogee AD/DA conversion is vastly superior, mic preamps, etc. etc.

I keep my MOTU 828 Mk II in a SKB Studio Flyer 2U travel case along with a Powercore X8. So I need to keep the audio interface to 1U.

I have considered replacing the 828 Mk II with a TC StudioKonnekt 48 or an Apogee Ensemble, but really I am open to anything.

I'd rate audio quality and simplicity over bells and whistles, especially since I have external Powercore processing. But the Apogee price is double most other interfaces on the market. I'd like quality mic preamps. I'll be using this interface with Rode NT1000 and NTK and other mics of comparable quality. I have been using a Mackie VLZ-1402 mixer, but that is subject to review also. I'd rather work with mics going straight to the interface, unless there are compelling reasons to do otherwise.

Any suggestions or pros and cons greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
Re: MOTU repair or new Audio I/O?
on Jan 5, 2010 at 4:41:38 pm

I've never done so personally, but MOTU has a strong track record for doing most repairs large and small for $50. It's well worth going through the trouble of taking it out of your rack and getting the serial. MOTU tech support is known for being kind of hard to get in touch with (hence not opening their mouths until they get a serial number), but, they should help you out once you get through the initial hurdle.

Personally, I would rather buy an RME Fireface 800 than an Apogee Ensemble. Both interfaces are considered superior sounding to MOTU (but, not "vastly" better sounding).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]