FORUMS: list search recent posts

hardware interface

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Vaughn
hardware interface
on Dec 19, 2009 at 10:57:52 pm

I want to use my Sound Devices 302 mixer to record into my mac with OSX and Soundtrack Pro and/or Final Cut Pro. What kind of interface do I need to turn the analogue files into digtal ones for the computer? Am I right in assuming I can use the SD preamps so I just need some brand of firewire or usb converter rather than a converter which is also an amp?

Recommendations?

http://www.vprod.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: hardware interface
on Dec 20, 2009 at 12:35:23 am

"What kind of interface do I need to turn the analogue files into digtal ones for the computer?"
- Uh, what do you mean "analogue files"? Are you recording to tape and needing to transfer the files over to a digital format? You need to be more specific.

Most of the time, when talking about using a device as an audio interface, there is a program on the computer that will record the signal and store it as data on the hard drive. The Analog-to-Digital conversion takes place in the interface you use.

"Am I right in assuming I can use the SD preamps so I just need some brand of firewire or usb converter rather than a converter which is also an amp?"
- Yes, the preamps in the 302 will boost the signal up to a usable level for any pro gear down-the-line (that's why it was created!).

I would still recommend an interface with preamps, however, as they are more versatile and offer a higher resale value. Sometimes, you can simply bypass the preamp section of the interface by using the Line Input instead of the Mic Input. This depends on the circuitry, though, so when you find some interfaces you like, compare the specs yourself or tell us what the interfaces are and we will gladly take a look at the block diagrams for you. :-)

Some interfaces also have digital I/O (S/PDIF, AES/EBU, and/or ADAT Lightpipe - among others) that will take care of the Analg-to-Digital conversion of the input signal for you. I think the Mac G5s and Mac Pros have optical I/O (which might accept ADAT Lightpipe...you'll have to check that one out, though).

Look into MOTU, Presonus, and Focusrite.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Larry Vaughn
on Dec 20, 2009 at 1:00:38 am

I'm just interested in using my existing gear to record voice tracks. So I have several condenser mics, both self powered and/or phantom powered, and a dynamic mic. Also have the 302 mixer.

I probably could connect it to my macs' audio in, but I was told that a firewire or usb input would be better. Would it?

http://www.vprod.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 20, 2009 at 3:30:40 pm

Hello Larry and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Come out of the 302 at mic level and into a MicPort Pro from Centrance. It's a A/D USB device. Works very nicely.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Larry Vaughn
on Dec 20, 2009 at 7:54:22 pm

Thanks Ty. I'm assuming since you are recommending it that there won't be much if any quality loss doing it this way. And, someone else suggested the same device.

Larry

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 20, 2009 at 8:31:00 pm

Larry,

I think there is better A/D on the market, but you'll have to pay more for it. I used a Schoeps cmc641 with MicPort Pro and it sounded OK, not as good as it might sound through a real preamp and better conversion, but very usable. If you're using the 302 preamp that'll help.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Mark Bookspan
on Jun 24, 2010 at 6:46:46 am

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums. Hope this is the correct thread for my question: Is the Frontier Design "wave center/PCI" a good interface for downloading ADAT files from an Alesis Black face to a computer for audio editing? The Alesis has a toslink/lightpipe fiber optic digital output. I only need to be able to download from the recorder to the computer. Product reliability and good value, of course, are considerations. If the above product is not a good choice or if there are better choices, please inform me.

Thank you.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]