FORUMS: list search recent posts

sound blankets to mute sound of fridge

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stan welks
sound blankets to mute sound of fridge
on Dec 19, 2009 at 8:15:28 pm

I need to shoot some video that will be around 12-15 ft away from a fridge with a built in ice maker that sometimes randomly drops ice and makes noise. would hanging sound blankets do a good job of muting the sound? It is going to be difficult to move it and get behind the cabinets to unplug it.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: sound blankets to mute sound of fridge
on Dec 19, 2009 at 8:34:01 pm

They'll help some - but probably not enough. The mechanical noise of an ice dump is pretty substantial and that kind of low rumble noise is pretty penetrative.

Unless the refer is literally framed into the wall, I've never seen one that you can't pull out by simply sticking the lip of a common 2-wheel hand truck under front - then angle the lip up to pull the front leg-adjusters up and then roll the refer out a foot or so. That should allow you to reach behind and pull the plug.

The other option is to find the breaker panel and look for a larger breaker labeled APPLIANCES. Unless you're trying to simultaneously pull power from the kitchen circuits, the breaker switch will do the same job.

In any case, temporarily killing the power is really the best way to deal with the noise.

That and some gaffers tape on the door to disallow anyone from opening it and letting the sealed cold air out should give you at least a couple of hours of shooting time.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Dec 20, 2009 at 12:21:19 am

Stan,

First things first: do you have permission to touc the fridge? I know I've done a number of shoots inside the houses/apartments of people who were willing to let us shoot there out of the goodness of their hearts. Make sure you get permission to open the fridge and adjust things as necessary. Also make sure that both you and the owners understand what exactly you'll be doing (stay on the same page).

All that said, if you're worried about the ice maker making noise, most of them have a lever that switches off ice production when a certain amount is in the tray/bucket. Check to see if there's one there. Download the manual for the fridge the night before and check it out.

If you can pull it out with a handcart, do so. MAKE SURE YOU PLUG IT BACK IN!!!!! Or, you'll have some VERY angry people (and rightly-so!).

Moving blankets work well for dampening noise from microphone pick-up, but they may still introduce hum if you're too close to the fridge unit.

Good luck and tell us how it goes!

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

John Livings
on Dec 20, 2009 at 4:28:22 am

If you can't unplug it, Try turning off the circuit breaker.

Most of the built-in ones are on a separate circuit breaker.

John

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
on Dec 20, 2009 at 11:15:37 pm

Some great advice has already been provided. I would agree that the sound blankets probably will not reduce the sound anywhere near enough for you. Also, instead of unplugging or finding the breaker box, many times you can just turn down the "coldness" level in the fridge to get it to shut off. That's the little wheel with numbers (sometimes one for fridge and one for freezer). As someone mentioned, make sure the owner is o.k. with it and make sure to note where the settings were to begin with so you can reset them when you are done. We often leave our car keys in the fridge so we don't drive off and forget to reset it.

Have fun!

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Andrew Commiskey
on Dec 21, 2009 at 3:22:10 am

I'll second the Keys in the Fridge. Lifesaver

Chaos is the beginning of everything.

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
on Dec 21, 2009 at 5:35:59 pm

And if none of the above are possible you can "write it in to the script" and have the characters react to it. Of course, when you do that, it will never make the noise.....

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
on Dec 21, 2009 at 7:36:35 pm

Bob,

Right you are. Why is it that inanimate objects seem to know when we're recording audio? I just returned from a corporate shoot where without fail every time we said "Action", a big truck would drive by, or someone would start up a leaf blower somewhere! As soon as we'd stop, all would be quiet again. Oh to have a sound stage available, and an unlimited budget, and all the time in the world...

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]