FORUMS: list search recent posts

imput on shot gun mics?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
suzin daly
imput on shot gun mics?
on Dec 18, 2009 at 5:34:55 pm

The two shot gun brands that have been highly recommended to me by professionals are, Sennhieser ME66 and the Rode NTG 2.

If anyone has any thoughts on which one of the above I should consider over the other I would be interested in learning.

I am a student, camera for now is Panasonic HMC 150, my focus is documentary. I do a lot of outside shooting that can include interviews and ambience. Something that will work better than the on camera mic. I would like to be able to switch over and use it for a boom mic too.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: imput on shot gun mics?
on Dec 18, 2009 at 7:09:26 pm

For simplicity's sake, I'll assume your camera has XLR inputs.

Out of the two mics you listed, and from MUCH personal experience using them for films and sound FX recording, I would definitely go with the Rode NT-2.

HOWEVER...and that's a big however, IF you want to buy a microphone that you will NEVER regret having purchased, I would recommend the Sennheiser MKH-416. Scrape and save until you can afford one - it's an industry standard for a reason! That's not to say that it is the be-all-end-all of shotgun mics, though (that's the Schoeps CMIT5U, lol).

You might also look into the Rode NTG-3.

A hypercardioid microphone is a great type of micto have indoors - an Audio-Technica 4053b seems to get good reviews here.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 18, 2009 at 7:58:53 pm

Hello Suzin and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum

I think Jordan forgot the "g" when he referred to the "NT2." Rode makes an NT2 and a NTG-2. They are very different.

The mics you talk about are typical student grade shotguns. There are better. Jordan's choice of an MKH 416 is dead on. Some folks like the Sanken CS-3e and Neumann KMR 81. The Rode NTG-3 is a new comer, but doing pretty well.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

suzin daly
on Dec 19, 2009 at 2:15:25 pm

Thanks for the imput I am looking into your suggestions now.
Season's Greetings to everyone, happy filming Sz

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
Re: input on shot gun mics?
on Dec 21, 2009 at 5:32:14 pm

The NTG-3 has gotten a lot of good press and very good reviews from users calling it the poor mans '416. Rode has a special where you can get their blimp for $1 (only another two or three weeks).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]