FORUMS: list search recent posts

Battery Backup for protools rig

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Simpson
Battery Backup for protools rig
on Dec 18, 2009 at 3:23:37 am

I'm considering a ups/battery backup very soon. I need to make sure I'm buying an adequate unit without going overboard.

I'm using an intel iMac (20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo) which has pretty minimal power consumption of 200W (FAR less than a Mac Pro w/ monitor).

My PT interface is a 003 Rack+; digidesign lists the max power consumption for the 003 Rack (not Rack+) as: 1A / 110 watts @ 110 volts. However, if the UPS provides clean power through the surge-only outlets, then I can plug the 003 into them and the 110 watts won't be any extra load on the battery.

In addition I'd have one (and sometimes two) hard drives plugged in. Can't seem to find power consumption for these.

I suppose I should have my DSL modem and wireless router on the battery backup, but I'm guessing they don't use too much power.

I live in a rural area with occasional brown outs. Are some battery backups better at handling power dips than others?

Plus, I've read a bit about sine versus square waves; apparently Mac Pros need true sine wave power - only offered in more expensive units. Am I ok with a lower cost square wave unit?

Any thoughts? I need to be frugal.

20" intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, 4GB ram
View my reel - http://www.youtube.com/patrickdsimpson

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Battery Backup for protools rig
on Dec 18, 2009 at 6:59:04 pm

How much is your equipment/data worth to you? If you're going to spend money on the proper online, true sine wave output UPS (and you WILL spend money), you should at least do it right the first time.

If you can't fork out the cash now, wait until you have it then go shopping.

Take a look here at Andy Peters' post. That should help clarify some things.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]