FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitor Decision

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Nicastro
Monitor Decision
on Dec 13, 2009 at 2:31:46 pm

I did a search before I wrote this but did not find much. I'm asking about monitors, more specifically the Yamaha NS10's. With all the new technology today, are these monitors still considered the best?

I'm at a crucial decision right now on which ones to get. I'm a video editor but need good monitors to properly do the sound mix. And I know the room layout and acoustics make a huge difference, but should I be looking at the new ones, or go for the older NS10's?

Return to posts index

Mark Barroso
Re: Monitor Decision
on Dec 13, 2009 at 3:34:53 pm

A lot of people like the KRK speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Powered-Whirlwind-Unique-Squared-Stickers/dp/B001ANZT...

FCP 6.0.5 /
OS 10.4.11 /
Mac Pro 2x2.66 Ghz Dual Core/ 2G RAM
External: FW800 G-tech 500 HD and G-Tech Quad 750GB
playback deck: Pan dv2500

Return to posts index

Eric Nicastro
on Dec 13, 2009 at 4:31:48 pm

I was looking at the KRK and the Alesis monitors. I guess what I'm asking, are the NS10's still the considered the best and the de-facto of audio monitors? In reading some articles, everyone was saying you could not walk into a recording studio then and still now without seeing the NS10's.

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
on Dec 14, 2009 at 4:43:27 pm

The NS10M speakers are no longer made, and they are/were primarily a go-to speaker for music recording/engineering. The details of "why" are long and tedious at this point.

As always the biggest factor will be your budget. Most of the larger audio post facilities are using Genelecs. Many of the larger video editing facilities are partial to Blue Sky. I personally use the Mackie HR824.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 14, 2009 at 5:08:54 pm

Hello Eric and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Yamaha NS 10 were never considered the "best." They got a huge lift when they appeared on the cover of studio magazines while sitting on the console metering bridge. For some reason, lesser informed readers misinterpreted the pictures and took to thinking that they were primary monitors.

They were never considered good primary monitors, but were used my many mixers a secondary monitors, e.g. "If you can make your mix sound OK on Yamaha NS10s, you'll be OK."

K&H, Genelec, Myers and some others are generally recognized as "the best." Against them, Yamaha NS 10s sound frightfully bad.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Eric Nicastro
on Dec 14, 2009 at 8:41:59 pm

[Ty Ford] ""If you can make your mix sound OK on Yamaha NS10s, you'll be OK." "

Ty,
Those were the same exact words I read in those articles and why I was actually leaning towards them. I know they're not produced anymore but I found some used ones in great condition. The ones you mentioned are a little out of my price range. I will probably look more at the Alesis and KRK brands. Any suggestions on those? The acoustics of my room are pretty flat and I will primarily be using them for sound monitoring for TV commercials and short films.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]