FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic location recording device

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guy Fixsen
Basic location recording device
on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:30:40 pm

I'm a music recording engineer of about 22 years' experience but I am currently getting into film sound design/mixing. I want to get a decent portable solid-state recording device that will do 96k/24bit. My priorities are to get something discreet but fully professional. Perhaps something that has high-quality mics built in but that could also accept external mics. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Basic location recording device
on Dec 8, 2009 at 12:07:19 am

Hello Guy and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Film sound, the location audio part of it, doesn't really require anything of higher resolution than 24/48.

You do need a kit comprised of at least two wireless mics, a boom, a shotgun, a hyper or supercardioid, a mixer, cables, wind protection and headphones.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Guy Fixsen
on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:29:47 pm

Hi Ty

Thanks for your reply. I'm really after a very portable device to record sound effects - machinery, conversation, wildlife etc. - I was looking at things such as the Edirol R09HR - but I was thinking that there's probably something that professionals use when they don't want to be encumbered with a full sound kit. Something that just fits in a pocket.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Guy

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 8, 2009 at 4:01:17 pm

Guy,

Professional use professional gear for professional jobs. If you want to mess around, buy a Zoom H2.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Dec 9, 2009 at 4:44:59 am

If you want professional recordings, you must use equipment and techniques that reflect that professionalism. There is a reason that they use the gear that they do. Most of it is single-function (a microphone picks up sound in a desired fashion, a mixer blends levels of different sources, etc.), and is connected to other gear that, likewise, has a single function. This all lends itself to having gear that is very good at what it does - and simply because it cannot perform those other functions, it does not excel at them. All of this adds up to a "bulk" of gear that the professional realizes is needed to capture/produce audio to the standards they strive for.

Granted, there is definitely good gear that has multiple functions, but the main point is this: the right gear is the right gear. It takes quite a while to figure out what works when, and how it does so consistently.

If you want professional recordings, you'll have to use professionals and their gear. If you are a professional, then it might be time to invest in said gear.

If you're not (and it's alright if you're not), then it is best to hire someone who can get you the results you desire.

Experiment with what you can - if that means getting a Zoom H2, do so! You'll learn much even from that, and the device will always be handy.

Please don't take anything said here as meant to squash your determination or dreams - take it to heart, mull it over, and see what things you can do to improve what you already have going for you.

All the best,
Wolfman

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Dec 9, 2009 at 4:48:36 am

Please Note: by "professional", I was referring to the on-location audio field. I do realize that the OP has much recording experience and probably knows much of what I said above already. I figured others could look up the thread and come to some realizations about their goals.

Also, in no way did I meant my post to sound condescending to the OP. He has almost more years' experience in recording than I do at living on this planet and I cannot argue with experience.

Apologies if offense was taken.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Guy Fixsen
on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:04:17 pm

No offence taken. I appreciate professional results - I was just asking for advice in a compromise situation - where carrying a boom etc. is not an option - where something discrete is needed. I'll have a look at the Zoom H2.

Guy

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:32:08 pm

Guy - it's easy. Get either the Sony D50 or the Edirol R-09HR. Make that one decision and your done. I bought the R-09HR last week. I couldn't make up my mind for the longest time, then Edirol announced this $50 off until the 15th of December holiday promotion and that made me pull the trigger.

I use the recorder in a location audio bag primarily. I liked the size of the R-09 better for that. If you want better on-board mics, the D50 is the way to go. The mics on the R-09 sound great, but the D50's mics really shine.

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Dec 10, 2009 at 5:59:58 am

Guy,
Check these out

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=14934&N=4294550618+4291207692

Primary System Info -
Mac Pro 2x3.2 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 20 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io

Return to posts index

Paul Harper
on Dec 17, 2009 at 2:58:56 am

At the other end of the spectrum from the Edirol and Sony recorders---If you were planning to add professional gear, such as wireless mics, you might consider something like the Zaxcom wireless transmitter which can come with recording to memory card built in. Very small, plus time code, plus you get to choose the type of mic you want to use.

Paul Harper

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]