FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitors for editing on budget

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amos Prync
Monitors for editing on budget
on Dec 4, 2009 at 4:53:20 pm

Quick question for people with good ears!!
Within the $250 budget for monitors for a FCP edit bay. (Monitoring through an AJA IO HD)
Which Make and Model would you recommend?
Alesis (which model)
Behringer (which model)
M-Audio (which model)
Mackie (which model)
OTHERS?? Make and Model

Thank you in advance for the advice.
Regards,

Amos Prync |::| http://www.amosprync.com

Return to posts index

Kelley Tuck
Re: Monitors for editing on budget
on Dec 4, 2009 at 5:07:09 pm

If you can squeeze in about $50 more, you can get a pair of Samson Rubicons. I edit for video with FCP constantly, and these monitors are a 'good bang for the buck.' I haven't had trouble with taking my videos elsewhere and frequencies being completely off, as can happen with lower quality/monetarily cheaper versions of other brands.

KDT

Return to posts index

Amos Prync
on Dec 6, 2009 at 7:50:27 am

Thank you! will consider this suggestion.

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
on Dec 4, 2009 at 10:26:05 pm

Amos,

You asked about monitors for around $250...

First of all, monitors are one of THE most important pieces of audio gear. If you don't know what your audio actually sounds like, it's tough to create a quality experience for your viewers/listeners. So don't go too cheap. With that said, there are a few monitors in your general range that are fairly decent.

<>

I used to use the old (unpowered) Monitor One speakers. They were a great bargain. I believe you can still get the latest version of Monitor Ones, which would require a separate amp, or there is a powered version.

<>

Do yourself and the world a favor and just don't go there.

<>

Both the BX5 and BX8 (speaker size of 5 inches and 8 inches, respectively) are good bang for the bucks. I think the latest model numbers are BX5a and BX8a. The BX5a speakers cost about $300 for the pair, while the BX5a run closer to $500.

<>

I compared the MR5 models to the KRK RP5s (see below) and was pretty impressed. These are pretty good and also around $300/pair. Very clean and transparent high end.

<>

KRK RP5.

As I said above, I compared the Mackies to these. I was hoping to do a side-by-side comparison with the BX5a's as well, but the store was out of them at the time. I have been using the KRK RP5's in a Final Cut suite for about 5 months now and have been very happy with them.

Bottom line, if you can compare them in person with a CD you are very familiar with, do so. I think I would have been pretty happy with the Mackies or the BX5a's as well as the KRK's. More comparitive listening might have revealed more differences in stereo imaging or frequency reproduction. It's important once you have made your choice to get to know your speakers. Play your results in a variety of environments and on different systems to make sure the mix you made translates well to the real world.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Amos Prync
on Dec 6, 2009 at 7:48:18 am

Thank you so much!!
This is GREAT eduction!
I always appreciate this kind of response.

Return to posts index

Amos Prync
on Dec 7, 2009 at 5:07:04 pm

Hey Rob!
I was able to get the "M-Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe 70-watt Bi-amplified Studio Reference Monitors" from Amazon for $200 (they suddenly dropped them from $300 to $200 and I just pulled the trigger ;)
Can you recommend a pair of Monitor Stands to use with this?
Thanks again!!
Regards,

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
on Dec 7, 2009 at 7:38:10 pm

Congrats on getting the speakers! Let us know how the work for you.

I've got a pair of On Stage metal stands that work well (I'm at work right now and they are at home, they may be Quick Loks instead). I've also got a pair of fake wood stands I got on sale at Guitar Center. They also work well and look just a little nicer because they have a channel for the cable to run up and a black plastic cover to hide the cable. The most important things about the stands are that they are stable, don't rattle, and their size places the speakers at ear height for optimum listening. You can also add a pair of Auralex MoPads to isolate the speakers from the stands a bit.

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_mopad/sound_isolation_mopad.asp

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 5, 2009 at 1:38:35 pm

Hello Amos and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I don't think you can get good monitors for professional work for that price.

That's sort of like asking which tripod and head you should get for $250.

There are speakers to be bought for that price, but what they don't reveal can come back to bite you.

OTOH, if you're only producing for the web, then your requirements are not as critical.

If you are producing for TV, be aware that an increasing number of people have home theater systems that are pretty full range. If you cheap out on monitors, you'll miss low frequency content problems.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]