FORUMS: list search recent posts

input level too low on SD 302

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Barroso
input level too low on SD 302
on Dec 4, 2009 at 3:35:21 pm

I've owned a Sound Device 302 mixer for some time now and have lived with this issue for some time, but figure I'd should take the hit to my ego and just ask if there's a solution.

I'm inputting a Sen MKH60, using the mixer's phantom power, and all the pots are nearly maxed out for a healthy signal. (I have the metering set to peak + VU) The course gain is topped at 60 and the fader is usually between 12 and 4 o'clock. I've got no where to go after that. Is there a way to increase the sensitivity beyond the mic level on the 302?

I've also notice the same thing with line level inputs, using Lectronics receivers (211 set at +4 db; 195D at line level).

FCP 6.0.5 /
OS 10.4.11 /
Mac Pro 2x2.66 Ghz Dual Core/ 2G RAM
External: FW800 G-tech 500 HD and G-Tech Quad 750GB
playback deck: Pan dv2500

Return to posts index

Kelley Tuck
Re: input level too low on SD 302
on Dec 4, 2009 at 4:22:55 pm

Where is the output from your SD 302 eventually winding up? Is it possible to boost your recording level at that end? If you are using the mixer to go straight into speakers, or if you are recording into a computer, you should have some control there. As long as you can get a good, even mix from the SD, you should be able to boost the level at the recording or output end.

If you are having trouble with signal-to-noise ratio upon boosting, I would say you probably have a faulty piece of equipment that might need fixing. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the 302, so unless everyone else is crazy, you might just have received a bum piece of gear, and in that case, I hope it's still under warranty, and that they will send you a new one. Hope some of this helps...

KDT

Return to posts index

Mark Barroso
on Dec 4, 2009 at 5:37:42 pm

I'm recording to video cameras of all stripes. It's the input levels that are frustrating me - everything is working fine but I'm just two clicks away on the fader from maximum output. I feel like I don't have a lot of control.

This isn't an issue with the 442 because there's a master gain pot.

FCP 6.0.5 /
OS 10.4.11 /

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Dec 4, 2009 at 6:47:08 pm

Hi Mark,

I've had the same issue with my 442 and MKH 60; the course gain was all the way up and the fader was between noon and 4 o'clock (I ride my levels high, keeping the -14dB LED's lighting). I brought this up with Sound Devices, but I can't remember what they told me, sorry. I think it's more an issue with the mics, or the fact that I'm keeping my levels hotter then we all used to. My lectro's tend not to be an issue(I run mic level in).

Best,

Dave J

Return to posts index

Mark Barroso
on Dec 4, 2009 at 6:58:02 pm

Well, is this an issue for Sennheiser? Thoughts, remedies, anyone?

FCP 6.0.5 /
OS 10.4.11 /

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Dec 4, 2009 at 8:16:49 pm

I realized I had the wrong "coarse" on my last post...lol.

In terms of it being a Sennheiser mic issue, it could be. On the Sound Devices website there's a question & answer about having to have a high gain setting with the MKH 418S stereo shotgun mic.

With my issue, it may have been an issue with my not having fresh batteries in my mixer; the mic might not have been getting enough juice from the mixer, but I don't know.

It may also depend on what your levels are set at. Back in the day, mixers set levels to peak lower than they do now. Now, everyone seems to be advocating higher levels when recording to get a better signal-to-noise.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Dec 5, 2009 at 12:52:38 pm

Is the pad switched on the microphone switched in?
Infact what are the switch settings on the mic set on?

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Mark Barroso
on Dec 5, 2009 at 4:01:55 pm

Thanks for your interest in my issue.

The presence filter (top switch) is off
The low cut filter is on.
The -10 db attenuation is off.

FCP 6.0.5 /
OS 10.4.11 /

Return to posts index

Andrew Commiskey
on Dec 21, 2009 at 3:32:53 am

The phantom power setting gives you a choice between 12 and 48 volts, could it be set to 12? I know my 416 will not even crank up on 12.

Chaos is the beginning of everything.

Return to posts index

Mark Barroso
on Dec 21, 2009 at 9:54:56 pm

BOOM! That's it. Thanks, Andrew. I knew this but forgot to check it.

FCP 6.0.5 /
OS 10.4.11 /

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]