FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hard wiring a Sennheiser EW microphone

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Leyse
Hard wiring a Sennheiser EW microphone
on Dec 1, 2009 at 8:22:20 pm

I have a Sennheiser Evolution Wireless G2 100 series which I use frequently for video shoots. There are many occasions I end using the wireless kit for interviews where I don't need to be wireless. So my desire is to have a wired lav in my audio kit, yet still spend as little as possible. (We used up our equipment funds on a camera.)

I know Sennheiser makes a MZA900P Phantom Power Adapter that would allow me to plug in the EW microphone with 1/8"mini plug and use it wired. Price is around $180 on Ebay.

I could just by a wired lav which would add another mic to my kit, but would also cost more money to get one I won't regret later. If this is best option, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Is there another electronically sound way to use the existing Sennheiser EW mic and provide phantom power from the camera without purchasing the MZA900P. I thought about just buying some Radio Shack adapters to see if I can make this work but don't want to fry anything.

The camera I'm shooting with is the JVC GY-HM700. The Sennheiser lav is the ME2.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jon

Jon Leyse
Crash 31, LLC
http://www.crash31.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Hard wiring a Sennheiser EW microphone
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:33:23 pm

Hello Jon and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The ME2 is an OK mic, but the MKE2 is better. I'd buy the MKE2 with power supply, wired so you could use it with the G2.

Also look at the Countryman B6 which hides better than any mic I know. Get it to be wireless and hardwired.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
Re: Hard wiring a Sennheiser EW microphone
on Dec 2, 2009 at 4:02:05 pm

I wouldn't bother trying to Frankenstein something with Radio Shack adapters. There is likely some kind of step-down transformer business going on inside the MZA900P. The trouble with spending $140 on that Sennheiser adapter is that it's only for those locking Sennheiser mics. If you move on to a better wireless system, you will move on from the $140 MZA900P too.

I'm with Ty when it comes to getting a dedicated wired lav. I own a Tram TR-50 for this purpose. If you can't spend the extra $$$ to get one of the more favored broadcast mics (Sanken COS11, Countryman, etc...) another option is the Audio Technica AT899 with the AT8537 power module. It should cost you around $185. It's a good sounding mic, it's very small, and it can run on phantom power or a AA battery. Plus it comes with a bunch of different clips and windscreens. Obviously, if you can spend more on an industry standard lav, you'll be better off. But I think the 899 is the best compromise lav out there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]