FORUMS: list search recent posts

multitrack audio sequencer for soundtrack creation ?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anastasis lazos
multitrack audio sequencer for soundtrack creation ?
on Nov 30, 2009 at 1:20:30 pm

Hi,
I am trying to find a suitable piece of software to work on soundtrack creation, mixing dialogue, sound effects and music to video (drama TV series).
I ve used a few of the available solutions out there like Cubase, Nuendo, Ableton Live but there is one feature that i ve been used to use in FCP that i cant find in any of them. This is the ability to stuck multiple effects on a single audio clip in the timeline (by simply double clicking on it). I can then go back to that clip double click it and change the parameters of the effects applied..
This is very useful, as for example, i might apply some EQ to an actor's voice and later i want to change that EQing.

In all dedicated audio sequencers effects are applied as inserts on tracks or send effects and they apply for the whole track meaning that if i have several clips on the same track i ll need to use automation to bring in and out different effects or change their parameters. This would be such a pain and in the end i wont know what effect i ve applied to each clip..

The other solution is to create a separate track for each audio clip (be it dialogue, SFX, music) that needs some effect processing. But then i might end up with dozens of audio tracks that hold only 1 audio clip..This seems like a waste of space and a hard time navigating through the project...

Do you guys have any ideas? I am desperate to find a solution. What software do you use for soundtrack mixing? Do i have to go down the route of several audio tracks and forget about the ability to add effects to individual clips?

With FCP i use Soundtrack Pro where i can apply effects to clips and i can use the action tab to go back and make changes. But i ll be most likely working on a PC running AVID for this job. Could i do all my audio mixing inside AVID? How is AVID audio features compared to FCP in terms of workflow and variety of effects. (I am asking this question in the AVID forum already)..
Any help much appreciated.
thanks
Anastasis

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: multitrack audio sequencer for soundtrack creation ?
on Nov 30, 2009 at 2:08:02 pm

Hello Anastasis and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

An interesting point, clip-based effects. At present I don't know of a workstation that offers that feature other than FCP and STP. I just wish STP was more conventional in its design. It comes off as an audio program designed by the IT department to me.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

anastasis lazos
Re: multitrack audio sequencer for soundtrack creation ?
on Nov 30, 2009 at 3:15:05 pm

Hi Ty,
I am also not very comfortable with STP, i dont use it much for multitrack mixing, mostly for processing audio files, It doesnt support soft synths which could be useful at times. But so far its the closest to the clip-based effect concept i am looking for.. Plus it integrates with FCP and i can send my FCP timeline with all audio tracks into it.. Could i do that with AVID?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]