FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to do a dubbing - what am I doing wrong?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hector Jimenez
Trying to do a dubbing - what am I doing wrong?
on Nov 20, 2009 at 8:12:28 pm

Here's a short clip of what I've done.

http://www.edraid.com/deletable/Sequence%2001.mov

Now, I think the sync is fine, and it doesn't really seem to be a volume level issue. So either I need to add filters so it fits the room, adjust the room tone, or use a different mike.

I'm not looking for amazing cinematic sound quality, just decent credibility that the person is actually saying what the sound says it is.

Thanks for any responses.

Return to posts index

JC Boulay
Re: Trying to do a dubbing - what am I doing wrong?
on Nov 20, 2009 at 8:41:06 pm

That could use a small room reverb send and some room tone mixed in the background. EQing some of the bass out will make the mic position more believable, as this sounds very close-mic'ed. One often overlooked but very important thing is foley. You don't have to do too much, just recording a few clothes movements to mix in faintly with the dialog. Just a tad of foley can really help gel things together when you mix in your hard effects. When mixing in foley, when you start hearing it, just pull it back a little.

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 20, 2009 at 10:09:03 pm

Hello Hector and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Without knowing what the original audio sounded like, there's no real way for anyone to guess what a good match is.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Hector Jimenez
on Nov 20, 2009 at 10:12:08 pm

I would use the original sound to compare and attempt to get a similar tone?

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
on Nov 24, 2009 at 5:28:38 pm

Okay, you asked for it...

There is way too much hiss, it's very distracting. Use a low pass filter on whichever track(s) are guilty.

Use a hi pass or other EQ to take out just a little of the low end on the voices, they sound dubbed.

As was previously said, you need some Foley - cloth movements, the big guy writing, the mask coming off the face of the other guy, the hand hitting the elbow, and the little bottle rolling off the table and hitting the floor. Maybe some shuffling footsteps.

Use a reverb - preferably an IR 'verb - to put the dialog and Foley into the space. It doesn't have to be much, but will unify everything.

BTW, the performances sound a little flat, lacking in emotion. That's why I dislike doing ADR with inexperienced talent. Hey, ADR is a tough gig even for experienced actors. That's why you should get solid production sound to begin with.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]