FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lectrosonics 201 receiver

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Maloney
Lectrosonics 201 receiver
on Nov 17, 2009 at 1:25:07 pm

Gteetings Ty and all. quick question. On my Lectro 201 I can adjust the levels from -50 to + 10 dBU. Mic to line levels.
I usally keep it at -40 for mic into my mixer and if I do a camera hop with a line level cable set if to +4 for a line level feed to camera. Am I doing this correctly or is there a reason I would select a different setting? Thanks for any advice Also has anyone used the SD 502 yet ?
Tom

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Lectrosonics 201 receiver
on Nov 17, 2009 at 2:34:56 pm

Tom,

That seems like the correct way to me. Personally, I'd rather have Line Level all the time. You might know this already, but it's best to add as much gain as possible/needed as early in the signal chain as you can. That gives you the best Signal-to-Noise Ratio.

You might want to check the user manual on a couple of things:

1. Whether the nominal output is actually Mic Level and is having gain applied to it by changing the setting the output to a higher level.

OR

2. Whether the nominal output is Line Level (+4dBu) and is attenuated when setting the output to a lower level.

It may be a combination of the two. Either way, there should be a specification where "unity gain" is at.

My thinking behind this is that you may be attenuating a Line Level signal and then adding gain again, which can lead to a higher noise floor along the signal chain.

Hope that gives you some food for thought. :-)

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 17, 2009 at 11:18:28 pm

Tom, Wolf,

Good thoughts. Check with Lectro to see what the noise specs are or whether they have a preference. All Lectro guys are top shelf. Even Larry.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Nov 18, 2009 at 12:41:01 am

You could also ask for Karl Winkler...he's a great one, too.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]