FORUMS: list search recent posts

AES/EBU vs embedded SDI

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Wollsey
AES/EBU vs embedded SDI
on Nov 16, 2009 at 6:17:10 pm

I generally work with picture, but sometimes deal with audio also - in the context of video projects.

I am weighing up the purchase of a MATROX I/O box - either the MXO2 or the MX02 LE. The main difference between the two is that the LE version does not have any AES/EBU support or connections. In the past when I have layed to tape on HDCam or HDCam SR I have used the embedded SDI audio (which is available on both MX02 Boxes).

I have never needed AES/EBU in the past and an therefore leaning toward buying the cheaper MX02 LE box. However I would like to know when AES/EBU may be required or prefereable before I make a final decision. Is AES/EBU used mainly on particular types of projects or in particular segments of the industry? Does it have advantages or disadvantages compared to SDI embedded?

Any info greatly appreciated....

PW

Return to posts index

JC Boulay
Re: AES/EBU vs embedded SDI
on Nov 16, 2009 at 7:37:54 pm

SDI and AES are just two ways of sending the same digital audio information to the VTR. If you won't need to record audio to or from an AES-equipped device that doesn't support SDI, I doubt you'll miss the functionality.

If your audio workflow involves dumping both audio and video to tape at the same time from one source, you should be quite alright without AES. If you ever need to digitize audio from AES sources (and don't have a separate AES-equipped audio interface) or if you'll ever need to write audio to a device which lacks SDI (pretty much any audio-only device), the AES could be important.

If you haven't used AES before and don't plan on big changes in workflow, I'd guess you'd be OK without it. But we all know new toys often open up new workflows, so only you can answer truly. It's not a format that will see a rapid expansion in the next few years, I'd say.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Peter Wollsey
on Nov 16, 2009 at 7:54:24 pm

Thanks JC....

Seems like it is a format mainly used by audio only devices rather than in video production.....

I think I'll buy the cheaper box....

PW

Return to posts index

Alfred Hanna
on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:04:42 pm

I had the exact same question, thanks for the post. However, one last question on this. If I'm recording a hand held device, audio only (maybe I do a digital recording in the field of a narrator saying something about an issue), will I need the AES??? I don't think so, but...I usually just import that digital file in separately.

I just don't know exactly what devices I might be using that might need to do AES/EBU. If I bring in something off a mixer at a musical event, and want to run the audio off the mixer directly in while I'm also recording live with the camera? that might be a real situation...as I can be shooting musicians on a small stage live. I would think that I'd need timesync for that though... Sorry to be so dumb on this, but changing over to this kind of input method is a bit confusing..

I'm currently using Lav's via xlr into the camera, so it seems like I won't need the more expensive box...but live recordings of musicians playing on stage is a likely use I'll be doing in the near future....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]