FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro Tools Help

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arden Hamrick
Pro Tools Help
on Nov 12, 2009 at 3:09:50 pm

Hi,

I work at an advertising agency as the video producer and editor. Tomorrow we have talent coming in to do some audio tracks for a spot, but I'm having trouble setting up Pro Tools (LE 7.3) to record, and I want to be able to have everything ready before he gets here tomorrow.

The system I work on is a Quad Core Mac, the microphone is an Electrovoice RE 20 hooked in through an Alesis MultiMix12 soundboard through fire wire into the audio input.

I don't know if its a problem with the way I have Pro Tools Set up, as I'm not that familiar with it (I mostly work with video), but I know that the microphone is hooked up correctly because its coming through on my system speakers just fine.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Pro Tools Help
on Nov 12, 2009 at 7:34:14 pm

Well, first, it would REALLY help if you told us what the problem is!

ProTools REQUIRES that a Digidesign interface be plugged into the computer the software is on, otherwise the software will not be able to be used. Plug in the interface that came with the software (an Mbox, Mbox 2, 002, 003R, or whatever it came with) and you will be able to use the software.

It seems to me that, unless you haven't divulged certain information, you don't know what you're doing with ProTools. Are you the one tracking the sessions? If so, I myself would be a little worried.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 13, 2009 at 11:37:10 am

I agree with Jordan.

I think Pro tools is way to big an app for someone who isnt fully conversant with it. The session could become really stressful and you should spend time with it without any customer or job learning its inner core before tackling even the most basic job.
Then i think the question youre asking just evaporates.

Know your limitations and spend your career moving those limitations away.
Sorry to be a little negative but i think youre on a loser. Presumably your client is coming in because he believes you know this stuff.
Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 13, 2009 at 11:39:26 am

Im aware i didnt help by making any suggestion.

Take it to a studio until you are better than they are.
And also what are you doing in terms of acoustics and recording space?
Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

Arden Hamrick
on Nov 13, 2009 at 8:38:00 pm

Well, I've figured out (by reading and learning on my own.) what I was doing wrong. I was successful in recording a test track of myself yesterday.

By the way, I'm using the digidesign Mbox2 Mini. Seeing as how this is my first time using Pro-Tools, I told my employer to have the talent do his recording at the radio station instead of just giving me two days to learn the new program while I have classes and other responsibilites to attend.

Then I came back here and read your posts. Thanks for the advice, of course I'll keep learning on my own.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 14, 2009 at 2:04:14 pm

Hello Arden and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I'm glad you were successful in your attempts to record. Please know that getting audio in and out of any DAW for use on commercials requires more than a yeoman's knowledge of the software. Pro Tools sells training DVDs that your employer may (wisely) buy for your edification.

You can also learn a lot from the Digidesign Users Conference (DUC) on the Digidesign web site.

As for your configuration, you can plug the RE20 right into the Pro Tools hardware.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Teddy Endo
on Nov 23, 2009 at 3:36:31 am

Kudos on being able to solve your snafu. Although recording in Pro Tools could be challenging, recording in any sequencer isn't that difficult. I find a lot of the work is getting a clean signal: voice, mic, compressor, preamp. I've learned a lot of apps under pressure from paid clients, and I know some folks who've actually popped open the manual in the client's presence, in fact, just last week. You learn fast that way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]