FORUMS: list search recent posts

Microphone recommendations!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Leyba
Microphone recommendations!
on Nov 11, 2009 at 12:40:43 am

Hi guys!

I have a Sony HDR-FX7 camcorder. It doesn't have any XLR inputs, only a mini plug one. I don't have any job, I'm only 15, I need a cheap and descent external mic for my camera. These are my options:

Azden SMX-10 or the Rode Videomic. Which do you guys recommend? My budget is up to maybe $160. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the help! I appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
Re: Microphone recommendations!
on Nov 11, 2009 at 5:21:14 pm

Rode Video Mic all the way. The rubber bands on the built-in shockmount on the Video Mic allow the it to wiggle around a bit, which some people don't like, but, whatever... This is about sound, and the Rode sounds much better than the Azden. Factor in an extra $39 for the Rode Deadcat and you'll have a nice sounding mic you can use indoors and out. There is also a thread on the bottom of the Video Mic which allows you to attach it to a boompole. So you're next purchase after the Deadcat can be a boompole. You'll be rocking then.

Return to posts index

Justin Leyba
on Nov 11, 2009 at 9:28:57 pm

Does it buzz a lot? 'cause some tests ive seen is that the rode buzzes a lot. Do you personally own the Rode Videomic?

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Nov 12, 2009 at 4:10:33 pm

I don't own the Rode Video Mic, but I've used them a few times. There is no buzz. It's a good sounding mic for the money. In the trailer for Paranormal Activity the guy in the movie is using a Rode Video Mic. I don't know if he used that as the main mic in making of the film, but it's possible.

The person who tested it and reported that it buzzes either had a broken microphone, or a broken device they were plugging it into, or they were doing it wrong. They were most likely doing it wrong. There are millions of different ways to do it wrong in audio.

Return to posts index

Justin Leyba
on Nov 12, 2009 at 9:51:09 pm

I just noticed that the rode videomic was on the film. Now I think I really need to buy that mic. Haha.
Thank you for the information!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]