FORUMS: list search recent posts

Small diaphragm mic for audio kit

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Denton
Small diaphragm mic for audio kit
on Nov 9, 2009 at 12:10:22 pm

Hi all,

I am on the cusp of setting up an audio kit for film/t.v/corporate work. So basically I'm a sound handyman and I'm going to be as versatile as possible. I have read the great thread about setting up an audio kit here but I wanted to ask some further questions from the wonderful community here at CC.

So far this is what I think I'll get:

Sennheiser ME66/K6 *OR* Rode NTG-2 (I'd like opinions here)

SD 302 mixer

Marantz PMD670 or Fostex FR-2 LE solid state recorder (Again, I'd like opinions here)

In the thread I mentioned about you suggested a Audio Technica AT4053a for a small diaphragm condenser mic. But I was thinking of going for a Rode NT6 with detachable capsule. This feature would have been great on many shoots I've done in the past. But I don't know how it rates as a mic for video? Alternatively there is the NT5 which is more similar to the AT4053a. Does the NT5 (or NT6) have the Off-Axis Rejection that a AT4053a has?

In the thread you also talk of going for the Countryman B6 lavs. Is that just referring to the mic alone or does it come with a transmitter/receiver when you buy a Countryman B6?

Sorry for the long post, but please have a read and respond.

P.S. Ty I have found your comments very helpful. Also your video on mic choices and I have purchased your book Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide which I'm eagerly awaiting!

Macbook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Final Cut Pro 6.0.5
Logic Pro 8
Photoshop CS1

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Small diaphragm mic for audio kit
on Nov 10, 2009 at 2:55:43 am

Hello Ed and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The Sennheiser ME66 or NTG-2, 4053a, (now the 4053b) are good if that's all you have funds for. The 302 is fine. The B6 Countryman mics are just mics; no transmitter/receiver.

I have no opinion on the recorders.

Regards and thanks,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
Re: Small diaphragm mic for audio kit
on Nov 10, 2009 at 7:21:45 pm

Between the ME66 and the R0DE NTG-2 I would get the NTG-2. The ME66 has a really hot output, which makes it more susceptible to vibration and wind noise. It's a noisy mic. I use an Audio Technica 4073a shotgun.

302 mixer is the best choice.

Between the Marantz PMD670 and the Fostex FR2, I would get the Fostex. I don't find the interface of the PDM670 to be intuitive. I've heard positive things from active field professionals about the FR2.

I don't know how the R0DE NT6 rates for video use either because I don't think many people use them. It seems more like a studio/installation system to me. You don't know how it will stand up to the elements, travel, and abuse of video work. I use the AT4053a because I couldn't afford a Schoeps, period. So far I'm happy with my decision, and I still can't afford a Schoeps ;) I own both the hyper-cardioid and the cardioid capsules for my 4053's (I have two). I may pick up a pair of omni capsules someday.

My advice would be to not be a guinea pig. Use gear that's tested and proven.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]