FORUMS: list search recent posts

Voiceover clean-up

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Ostrovsky
Voiceover clean-up
on Nov 6, 2009 at 9:51:37 am

Hello,

Is there any way of getting rid of those gulping(?)/lip sounds? I've tried to search the forums (I'm probably not the only person facing this problem), but I don't know how do you call them :)

Here is a sample:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/tvdz05dyznc/voice.mp3

I've tried manually cutting out the 'lip' sounds, but it's quite a task to do that without altering the words. The recording is gated (do you often gate voice-overs?), but it doesn't solve the problem: a majority of those sound occur during the speech itself, unlike breaths.

I will appreciate any advice!

Thank you!

Tony

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Voiceover clean-up
on Nov 6, 2009 at 3:36:36 pm

1) id never gate a recording ever. Infact Id NEVER process a recording ever no compression, gate reverb eq. That is something that is exclusive to the final mixdown, where it can always be un picked and more importantly processed with all of the final mix elements in mind so its done in situ!. I dont understand the need to record with an effect. Like a cup of tea, once youve put sugar in you cant extract it. But you can always add a little sugar just before drinking.

2) If the talent makes any additional noises other than whats on the script, they get to go and do it again. Thats what im spraying money at them for.
3) If its already been done like that by someone else, and i couldnt clean it up correctly without clipping the words, id reject it as not up to spec and await the correct version.
40 if it couldnt be re done (ie the VO has died) then id do my best and make sure the client understands that the faults were not of my making.

Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

Tony Ostrovsky
Re: Voiceover clean-up
on Nov 8, 2009 at 4:26:23 am

Thanks a lot for a detailed response, but I was just curious from a technical point of view.

Best,
Anton

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]