FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound Level Issues

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Morfill
Sound Level Issues
on Nov 5, 2009 at 2:42:48 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here so pardon me if I've posted in the wrong forum!

I recently did some editing for a major project at work, which comprises of some broadcast footage and a series of audio histories recorded by on-site staff on portable recorders.

I've come across a rather serious problem with sound levels. Unfortunately, when the portable digital recorders were taken out, they were literally just set up and the record button hit, with no regards to recording levels and environmental issues. Therefore, some of the audio histories have come out incredibly loud and distorted where the levels had been much too high.

Of course, this now has a bearing on the finished product, with some parts of it being much louder than the rest. I've tried changing the sound levels on the project in FCP to no avail. I've been importing the rendered version of the project into Soundtrack Pro and adjusting the louder clips (via the compressor and amplification tools) so they match the levels of the quieter files that got recorded properly. This seems to work to a certain extent, but as I'm no audio professional (yet!!) I was wondering if you guys knew of any extra filters and such I could run the clips through to make the difference between the louder clips and the normal clips a little bit smaller.

Thanks in advance!!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Sound Level Issues
on Nov 5, 2009 at 5:21:34 pm

If the clips were recorded with distortion there's not much you can do. There are some programs that can help with clipped (distorted) sound, bit only if the clipping is minor. Checkout Izotope RX.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Sound Level Issues
on Nov 6, 2009 at 3:48:28 pm

I dont understand how come your ears cant tell you if youve sufficiently closely matched the 2 level types with the fcp mixer (NB I wouldnt be using a compressor at all, this will only make loudness issues worse. ) Just use the FCP faders in the audio tool

There are meters inb FCP too. Although NLE meters are just about the most useless items in the world, i dont suppose youve any proper metering or want to go and buy some.

Audio is about ears. Youll detect the smallest of differences once you tune in.
peter

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]