FORUMS: list search recent posts

is this the right forum to ask a question about speakers for post ?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
is this the right forum to ask a question about speakers for post ?
on Nov 5, 2009 at 3:39:13 am

I apologize if this is the wrong forum.
I just inherited a pair of Tannoy System 1000 reference monitors. Now I never had a pair of $1000 + speakers before, and I usually use cheap Alesis Active Monitor One, or Behringer B2031A Truth monitors (and occationally the Mackie 824, but not very often). I do not see any more accuracy from these expensive Tannoy's than I even get from the Alesis Monitor One's (which aint' no Genelec !). So why did these speakers cost so much money, and why did they get such rave reviews by so many professionals. What am I missing here ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: is this the right forum to ask a question about speakers for post ?
on Nov 5, 2009 at 6:01:30 am

With better (and, usually, more-expensive) components come a more uniform reproduction of the input signal by the transducers (ie speaker drivers). The frequency response will be more accurate as the SPL increases and will have less distortion than one with lesser-quality components.

I've never used them...maybe someone else here has. Tannoy has a good reputation (as far as I know), so I would think their reference monitors (emphasis on reference) would be precision engineered for as accurate a response as possible for their price range.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Nov 5, 2009 at 3:17:59 pm

Bob, I assume that you do not already know this, but at least in my (audio professional) world, the word Tannoy is actually a contraction of the words "to" and "annoy". Not my favorites...

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
on Nov 5, 2009 at 4:36:44 pm

I've never heard the 1000's, but was reasonably happy with the PBM8's. I now use the Mackie HR824 speakers with the HRS120 sub (I still use the PBM8's and others as a "B" reference).

My question is "what about your listening environment?" Is your work space sonically isolated and treated? When I've auditioned speakers in stores I've never been able to appreciate the differences, but when allowed to bring the into my studio or I've listened to them at other studios I've been able to hear the differences.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 5, 2009 at 10:43:04 pm

Hello Bob and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Accuracy and size of sweetspot are two critical parameters for really good monitors. In powered monitors, the amount of power also figures in. It's also handy to have controls on the monitors so you can tweek them to your acoustic environment. $1K for a pair is not all that much. Check out Myers HD1, Genelec 1031, or Event Opals.

As noted, to get the best of ANY monitor, you need to allow room for it to be positioned properly.

Thanks for stopping by!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]