FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fireworks Sound Effects

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spencer Sternberg
Fireworks Sound Effects
on Nov 2, 2009 at 4:36:04 am

Recording fireworks sound effects seems to be a tricky thing to do. Not only is the sound pressure level so high and can distort through your recorder but also if you are too far from the source it sounds too distant (and often reverberates a lot off other objects).

I thought it might be useful to some sound designers to have a read of an article I wrote about fireworks sound effects and how they can be used to create new and unique sounds.

I'd love to know if anyone has any thoughts about recording fireworks sound.

Spencer Sternberg
Audio for Games
http://www.spencersternberg.com

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Fireworks Sound Effects
on Nov 2, 2009 at 7:56:23 pm

Tom Danley has some good recordings. You might try contacting him through his company to see if he can offer assistance.

Here's a direct download of one of my favorite subwoofer tests.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Spencer Sternberg
on Nov 3, 2009 at 2:01:39 am

Thanks for this link. That's an interesting read and great to hear another recording of fireworks to cross reference with my own. I hope in the coming New Years celebrations I can try a few different microphones to find out which kind is useful for which kind of firework.

I am really keen to try and record specific fireworks together with pictures, and/or descriptions of the individual firework. There are so many kinds of fireworks and in come countries, like here, you can buy almost all of them.

Spencer Sternberg
Audio for Games

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 3, 2009 at 4:58:43 pm

Not that im an expert on fireworks recording, but when i have done it i followed the following

1) i got permission from organisers to set up away from the 2 non required sound sources. People and music. Always up wind of music.
2) I ran 2 stereo pairs. 1 was set at a much lower record level than the other.
When sync'd in post, when things get really loud and top out on my full level recordings, ive always got a non clipped version to dip across to for the minimum time possible.
3) I use as much of a studio mic as possible, to get the bottom end. I recall i has 4 Neumann U87s. This creates problems in the field with wind and i had to use a lot of wind shielding to clean up the air around the record area and so not need to insert any horrible lf roll offs that would negate the arguement for using studio mics.

Just thoughts.
Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

Spencer Sternberg
on Nov 4, 2009 at 10:32:00 am

Peter this is great. How nice to have 4 U87s to record with! Great idea with the 2 stereo pairs. It is really useful to have that option for when, like you said, the levels really peak out on those climatic parts.

How did you manage to record 4 channels? Was that to 2 different recording units and the sync them up in post? And was it a difficult task to carry and set up all that equipment?

Spencer Sternberg
Audio for Games

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 4, 2009 at 4:56:56 pm

I recorded to a Digi beta camera, which also shot the visuals.
I used a small mixer desk to supply the phantom power and to allow the separate bussing of 4 outputs to the camera.
The kit wasnt a big problem to carry, but as on all tv shoots theres a team of people an a couple of runners to aid.
The wind break to shield the mics was the larger physical problem.
Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

Spencer Sternberg
on Nov 5, 2009 at 9:19:20 am

Excellent. So how did you manage to cut out the wind then? Did you use some kind of board in front of the mics or just cover the microphones in some way? I was lucky in my recordings that there was no wind that night.

Spencer Sternberg
Audio for Games

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Nov 6, 2009 at 3:29:35 pm

It was a large canvas tent/windbreak on 1 side. It wasnt windy, but with neumanns and a reluctance to do any lf roll off, anything aire movement wise would be disastrous.

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]