FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Monitor set up

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan Olson
Audio Monitor set up
on Oct 26, 2009 at 10:34:17 pm

Hi Guys,

Pardon my ignorance on this topic! Can you please tell me the easiest configuration for hooking up my audio monitors to my Mac Pro? I don't plan on doing any extensive mixing, I just want to have some clean, wideranging sound for my clients when I have an edit session.

Thanks, Guys.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Audio Monitor set up
on Oct 27, 2009 at 12:01:26 am

You need to provide us with more information.

1. Are you using/do you have a USB or Firewire interface that you can connect the speakers to?

2. What monitors do you have or plan to get?

Answer those questions and we'll be able to help you out a bit more.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Tristan Olson
on Oct 30, 2009 at 9:46:22 pm

I have a USB and Firewall interface. I also have a Kona 3 card. In terms of monitors, I have 2 x 20" Mac monitors, a 46" Sony client monitor and a Flanders Scientific 17" monitor for color grading.

Like I said this doesn't need to be mixing quality, just something that looks and sounds good for when I have clients in the room.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Oct 30, 2009 at 10:29:09 pm

I have 2 x 20" Mac monitors, a 46" Sony client monitor and a Flanders Scientific 17" monitor for color grading.

Umm...I was talking about the speakers which you are connecting to your computer - not the video monitors. Although CRT-type monitors will output a nice audio spike at like 15kHz (and elsewhere) that is QUITE annoying to us audio guys.

The type of [audio] monitors that you choose will dictate how they need to be interfaced. Consumer-grade and pro-sumer level gear will most often use RCA outputs; Professional-grade gear will use XLR, TRS, and/or barrier strips that can directly accept bare wire.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Tristan Olson
on Oct 31, 2009 at 5:02:47 am

I was thinking of something like the Ikey M505's... thoughts on that? I will have a Kona 3 breakout box, so I will be handle XLR if necessary.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Oct 31, 2009 at 7:14:11 am

Can't say I've ever used them (or heard of the company at all). If you've heard them and like them, then I'd say get them. Just make sure you can return them if you're less-than-satisfied.

The spectrum analysis they have on the webpage doesn't really show all the info you need to know, as it's hard to tell what room interactions there are without seeing a phase trace/coherence.

If I was investing money into some nice audio monitors, I would want ones that sound really good and look nice. These may fit the bill, but for $150USD, I wouldn't place my money on them for good reference monitors. BUT, I could be wrong - I won't judge it until I've heard them for myself. I'm just going on past experiences.

They're probably out of your budget, but I recommend the Mackie HR824v2 monitors. They also come in a 6" version.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Tristan Olson
on Oct 31, 2009 at 4:48:19 pm

Thanks. If I were to get those, what would be the best way to hook them up to my system?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]