FORUMS: list search recent posts

Voice-over: conventions of the genre

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Ostrovsky
Voice-over: conventions of the genre
on Oct 25, 2009 at 10:49:39 am

Hello,

I have recently taken a role of a sound engineer in a voice-over recording studio. Quite a big number of demo recordings has been done already, so now I'll have to process them, if necessary.
From what I've read in other posts, I presume the following techniques might help:

1) If the dynamic range is too high (for reasons other than creative - an artist often moves away from the mic), apply subtle compression - never more than 6 dB.

2)Normalize.

3)When applicable, enhance and over-compress (stereotypical commercial sounding)

4)If the proximity effect had not been creatively used, try to get rid of it with EQ's (no bassy sounding).

5)Get rid of over-emphasized 'S' and pops.

6)EQ tonal imperfections caused by mic placement/room.

Is there anything else I should do? Is there something I certainly shouldn't do?

Thank you!
Anton

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Voice-over: conventions of the genre
on Oct 25, 2009 at 1:24:10 pm

HI
Im sure every csutomers requirements may be different, but if youre
1) talking about taking these recordings and using them as a broadacst product, then yes some but not all of the list will apply. Def not normalise if youre going to braodcast it. Youll have to submit to braodvasters at the right level and this is not normalised.
2) If youre recording and then handing them on toa customer, I d find out what they want as it will differ every time.

3) If youre suppplying to a studio to build into a commercial or programme, then NONe of your list.
I wouldnt thank you for doing anything to a recording (not even applying eq at the mic) unless it was chronically bad, and even then id expect this to be fixed before recording anything. Same goes for the artist drifting off mic! Do it again if its audible.
No eq, no compression , no normalizing. Just record well. Ill process as applicable in the final mixdown.

Peter

Return to posts index

Tony Ostrovsky
on Oct 25, 2009 at 1:31:04 pm

Thanks a lot for a detailed answer Peter!

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Oct 26, 2009 at 4:15:24 am

If you can apply dynamic compression and/or equalization, I would do so. Maybe put in a request for a BSS DPR 901II? That will give you a whole new dimension of control that you didn't have before - and will open your eyes (and ears) to more possibilities.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Tony Ostrovsky
on Oct 26, 2009 at 10:48:11 am

Thanks for the hint - the device looks amazing!

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Oct 26, 2009 at 3:42:04 pm

Yeah, basically, it's a 4-channel compressor with a permanent sidechain EQ attached. Excellent for keeping sibilance and proximity effect at bay.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]